Saturday, September 27, 2008

My phone date

Yesterday I had my very special phone call with a VERY SPECIAL guy...John Ondrasik! I woke up with a strange sense of calm, considering what was to come. I had a quick bite to eat and exchanged a few emails with friends...other Five For Fighting fans who were anticipating this day along with me. A half hour before the designated time, I had my notes before me...just so I wouldn't forget what I wanted to tell or ask John.

A couple minutes before 2:00 pm, I called the toll-free number that MDA gave me, along with an extension. A pre-recorded voice told me the host...that would be Kelly...was not there yet. I waited...then called back again. This time, Kelly answered, and shortly after, John called in. John and I exchanged our hellos and I told him it was nice to hear his voice again. Immediately, I felt like I was talking to a good friend who I hadn't seen in awhile...which was true! It had been over 7 months since we saw each other at the Beach Bash for Augie's Quest last March.

The first thing I did was tell John the good news about the ALS Registry Act passing the Senate and continuing on to the House for voting, where it is certain to pass, too. One of John's passions is his support for Augie's Quest, an ALS charity. For the next 15 minutes I told him how he changed my life, and talked about his music, band buses and my Five For Fighting groupie exploits. John DID ask how I was doing, too, and I recounted my Bob Dylan pineapple story. As time ran out, Kelly cut in and tried to end things...but, John wasn't quite done yet! He asked Kelly if we could have a few more minutes, and she went away. I managed to get a couple more questions in and razz John about his UCLA Bruins...they're pretty awful this year, but so are my Cougars! We then said our goodbyes...and John was gone. As I hung up the phone, I still experienced some residual euphoria...and a deep sense of happiness.

I hope you understand, I can't reveal most of my conversation with John. It was just too personal, and some stuff, well, must remain secret...at least for now. I CAN tell you that John is STILL working on his songs...he hasn't started recording his album yet. So, the wait continues. No new album OR tour till next year. But, we can wait, right? It will be well WORTH the wait! John told me the new album might be a little longer than the last. Which means more listening pleasure! I can go for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I am so excited for you!! Goosebumps!! Chills!! John's songs have so much meaning for me and when they play while I'm walking I usually end up in tears. FFF is the only good thing that came from the hell my ex gave me and had me believing who I was not. Can't wait for his new album.
Kathy