Saturday, August 24, 2013

Hot house at the Showbox Sodo

A couple of weeks ago, I saw one of my favorite bands at the Showbox SoDo in Seattle.  On August 9th, Fitz and the Tantrums was back in town, just four months after a terrific sold out concert at the Columbia City Theater...yeah, I was at that one, too.  My friend Amelia and I traveled down from Bellingham and arrived very early at the Showbox, which is adjacent to Safeco Field.  There was also a Seattle Mariners baseball game going on that evening, so all of the parking lots had event parking rates...$25 was the norm.  But, just down the road from the venue, I spotted a bagel place with parking for $10 less...YES!

As Amelia and I got our things out of the car, we mulled over taking one particular item with us.  When I bought tickets for the concert, I was one of the lucky first 50 to pre-order and received two exclusive Fitz and the Tantrums posters.  We were hoping to get the posters signed, but the poster tube they were in was rather large.  Not really wanting to carry the tube around, we decided to just take our new Fitz and the Tantrums More Than Just A Dream CDs.  Just as I locked up the car, I looked across the street and couldn't believe what I saw.  It was Fitz...Michael Fitzpatrick, lead singer of the band!  He was talking on his phone and waiting to cross the road toward us.  Thinking quickly, I told Amelia it would be the perfect opportunity to get our posters autographed.  I called out to Fitz and he came over to us.  Still talking on his phone, he graciously signed our posters, and after telling Fitz I we would be seeing him later at the show, he strolled away.  How lucky was that?

Amelia and I walked over to the Showbox and saw the Fitz and the Tantrums tour bus parked next to the building.  Normally, this might be the place to hang out to see the goings on and maybe spot other band members.  But, it was pretty warm that day, so we hung out in the shade across the street.


When the Showbox's Lounge opened for business, we had a leisurely dinner in air conditioned comfort.  Like the other Showbox at the Market, this venue allows those in the lounge to enter the music hall before those waiting outside.  We took advantage of this and got a decent spot in front of the stage.  Around 9:00 pm, the first of two opening acts made their appearance.  I had never heard of The Colourist, but they were pretty good.  The same could be said of the second act, Hunter Hunted. Both bands had very energetic sets that were much appreciated by the early arrivals. 



By the time Fitz and the Tantrums took the stage, the floor was packed and things quickly heated up...literally.  With the hot lights and a full house, it got pretty warm.  But, nothing could detract from the action on stage.  Fitz and Noelle beautifully complimented each other with their powerful vocals, and the band was just awesome.




I was pleased that Fitz and the Tantrums performed many of my favorite songs, including those from their new album.  Here is their set list for the night:

Keepin' Our Eyes Out (new)
Don't Gotta Work It Out
Winds Of Change
Break The Walls (new)
Breakin' The Chains Of Love
Spark (new)
Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics cover)
House On Fire (new)
Fools Gold (new)
Out Of My League (new)
Last Raindrop (new)
6am (new)
Dear Mr. President
Tighter
LOV

Encore
MoneyGrabber
The Walker (new)

One of the best moments was when Fitz and Noelle sang Last Raindrop a cappella.  Joined by James King on saxophone, it was a magical moment. 


I was a bit disappointed there was no formal meet and greet after the concert, but I never let that stop me from connecting with the band.  Amelia and I made our way to where the bus was parked and stood with a handful of other dedicated fans.  I spotted drummer John Wicks and keyboardist Jeremy Ruzumna, but they didn't come over to see us at the barrier.  After a short wait, Fitz appeared and came directly out to meet his admirers.  As he signed our CDs, Fitz told me that he always noticed me at the shows in front of the stage.  I guess I have a memorable face?  Even as thunder rumbled and lightning lit up the skies around us, I couldn't leave without seeing my friend, bass player Joe Karnes.  My patience was rewarded when Joe finally showed up.  I waved to him, and Joe immediately came over.  I introduced him to Amelia, telling Joe it was her first Fitz and the Tantrums concert.  Joe signed our CDs and after exchanging pleasantries, we left happy as the first raindrops started to fall.  The Last Raindrop, pardon the pun, would not come till later in the night. 

No comments: