Saturday, August 24, 2013

Zoo day at Woodland Park

I can't even remember the last time I visited Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle.  Let's just say it's been awhile, although it was probably about ten years ago.  After a fantastic night at the Fitz and the Tantrums concert (see previous blog entry), my friend Amelia and I decided to do a zoo visit the next day.  It being a Saturday, we knew there would be a lot of families with the same idea.  Upon arrival at the zoo, we managed to find a space in one of the rapidly filling lots.

Zoos are an animal lovers paradise, especially one like me who likes to take pictures of critters.  It didn't take long for me to start snapping away.  Plexiglas barriers and fences may be there to protect visitors from the more dangerous denizens, but for the most part, it didn't prevent me from getting great photos.

Grizzly Bear

 River Otter

 Steller's Sea Eagle

 Snow Leopard

 Komodo Dragon

One way for visitors to get a more up close and personal experience is to participate in special programs available at the zoo.  I took advantage of the opportunity to feed one of their elephants.  The $5 charge was reasonable for just one branch, especially knowing the money was going toward the upkeep of the animals.  I thought it was pretty cool!  


Always a favorite at the zoo are the monkeys and apes.  Their antics and behaviors keep adults and children alike mesmerized.  We had the pleasure of seeing one of the young gorillas using a tool...in this instance, a stiff branch...to break edible leaves from a tree just out of reach.  


 Western Lowland Gorilla

Siamang

Before leaving the zoo, Amelia and I browsed through the Zoo Store.  Initially, I wasn't planning to buy anything, but then I remembered my sister's birthday was coming up.  Looking for something unique, I settled on a notebook made of elephant poo paper.  Now, I don't know the exact process of making paper out of elephant poo, but considering it has a lot of undigested fiber, it only makes sense you could make paper out of it.  For a zoo of its size, Woodland Park is a nice one.  Perhaps next time, I won't wait so long to visit again!  

No comments: