Friday, October 4, 2013

Museum day...with cats!

After a fantastic night at the Josh Groban concert, I had a pretty easy day today.  Since the plan to visit the Newberry National Volcanic Monument was a bust due to the U.S. Government shutdown, I had to look for an alternative.  I decided the High Desert Museum just south of Bend, OR would fit the bill.  I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised.  Things started out on a positive note as I was walking through the parking lot to the museum.  I spotted a chipmunk and got a great shot of the little guy.


 The High Desert Museum features exhibits on regional Indian tribes and local history, as well as live animals.  I was particularly impressed by their two resident wild cats...Snowshoe the Canada lynx and Vivi the bobcat.  Sadly, both had once been in captivity and declawed...poor Shoeshoe also had his fangs removed...thus, they cannot be released back into the wild. This is a sweet shot...Snoeshoe's tongue is sticking out! 



There were also a number of reptiles, porcupines, otters and birds of prey.  All of them, like Snowshoe and Vivi are destined to remain in captivity due to people lacking the skills or desire to care for these animals...or in some cases, possessing them illegally.  At least they will live comfortably for the rest of their lives.  The cats seem pretty happy!  Overall, this was a nice little museum.  Tomorrow...Pet Shop Boys in Portland!

No comments: