Sunday, October 6, 2013

Pet Shop Boys: Electric In Portland

October 4th...last full day of my road trip.  When I woke up in the morning, it was chilly in Bend, OR...35 degrees!  I had to scrape a thin layer of ice from my windshield...yes, I brought my ice scraper.  And, my tire chains, but that was just in case.  My concert to see the Pet Shop Boys in Portland wouldn't be till the evening, so I had just enough time to visit the Oregon Zoo.  Three hours later, I was enjoying the animal exhibits at the somewhat small, but nice zoo.





I love feeding the rainbow lorikeets!  They had those birds at the San Diego Zoo Safari Park on a previous road trip, and it was fun feeding them nectar. After leaving the Oregon Zoo, I got caught in a little traffic and had to ask my GPS for an alternate route to my hotel near the airport.  I was going to have to think about that when it was time to drive downtown for the show.  Sure enough, as soon as I exited the hotel parking lot, there was a major jam just to get to the interstate.  Once again, my GPS helped me out, and it was smooth sailing to the city center.

I've been a fan of the Pet Shop Boys since their first music video for West End Girls appeared on MTV in the mid-80s.  I have every PSB album on CD, and I was looking forward to seeing them in concert again.  The last PSB show I attended...which was also my first time...was back in 2009 with their Pandemonium tour.  I bought a VIP meet and greet ticket, and it was a thrill to see them in person.  When I heard the PSB would be touring this year to promote their Electric album, I didn't hesitate to go with the VIP option again.  The venue for the Portland show was the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall.  When I got there, I saw the PSB tour buses parked next to the building.



We were told to be at the concert hall at 5:00 pm for the meet and greet, and I was there a half hour early.  I started conversing with a couple of first timers...they had never been to a PSB show, let alone a meet and greet.  They were pretty excited, as was I.  Even though we would be given a VIP laminate that the PSB would sign, I also brought the vinyl record to their new album, Electric to be autographed.  I would say about fifty people were there for the meet and greet as we went inside.  Waiting in the lobby, we could hear them finishing up the sound checks...the music sounded wonderful.  Then, we filed downstairs, where we entered a lounge area, one party at a time.  

As I prepared for my big moment with the PSB, I thought about what I would say.  Then, it was my turn, and I entered the lounge.  I was warmly greeted by Neil Tennant, the talented lead vocalist, and Chris Lowe, the virtuoso on keyboards.  I wished Chris a Happy Birthday...it WAS his birthday that day...and immediately started chatting with them.  I happened to mention seeing Elton John perform in Las Vegas earlier in the week, and Neil expressed interest in seeing the show.  Since the vinyl had a couple of very nice photo sleeves for the records, I asked if they would sign those, as well as the album cover.  After a final goodbye handshake, they wished me well at the show and my experience was over.  I took my happy feelings to the Japanese restaurant across the street from the concert hall, where I had a relaxing dinner before the show.  

The concert was a fantastic spectacle filled with lights, lasers and video images.  Neil and Chris, as usual, were decked out in their unique outfits.  And, as in previous PSB shows, there were many costume changes.  In addition, there were two dancers who added grace and contrast to the visual displays.  The music was loud and exhilarating...I made sure to bring my earplugs...and most of the audience stood up for the entire concert.  This was the PSB's first show ever in Portland, and the crowd was very appreciative of their efforts. 








The PSB performed songs from their Electric album, and well as material from their previous works, including one of favorites, I'm Not Scared.  When I got back to the hotel, I looked over my mementos of my night with the PSB.  Neil and Chris put on an awesome show and I'll be looking forward to when their next tour comes to the Northwest.





No comments: