Sunday, September 28, 2014

Crack in the world

It's interesting how you get a different perspective on things when you're forced to look at a crack in your windshield all day long.  Actually, there was a movie back in the 60s called Crack In The World.  When I saw it growing up, it really stuck with me, despite its improbabilities.  Yesterday, when the crack manifested itself, it was about 8-9 inches long.  This morning, it appeared to grow about an inch overnight...not too bad.  But, I made it a WHOLE lot worse!  After filling up gas, I decided my windshield washing job wasn't good enough so I used my car's washer and wipers.  Bad idea!  Before I realized it, the crack almost doubled in size!  Ouch.  After a long day of driving, the crack grew maybe another inch.  I'm almost hating to see what the morning will bring.  Anyway, here's a pic of the damage so far.


As I stated before, I did a lot of driving today.  With rain on the horizon, I decided to skip my only activity in Boise and continue on to Shoshone Falls State Park in Twin Falls.  Yesterday, I saw one of the nicest falls in Washington, and today, I viewed the best in Idaho.  Although not at its peak volume, the falls are still quite picturesque.


I didn't see any animals yesterday, but at Shoshone Falls, there are rock doves.  Most people would call them pigeons, but in the wild, they are rock doves.  They seem to really like the water for some reason.  The specks you see next to the falls in the following photo are the birds.  All the doves seemed to be the same gray color, but I captured a brown one!



One interesting fact about Shoshone Falls was that in 1974, daredevil Evel Knievel attempted and failed to jump the Snake River near there in a rocket powered cycle.  I decided not to walk the trail to see the jump off point.  I did find a natural bridge overlooking the canyon, though.


Tomorrow, I'm hoping to visit Craters Of The Moon National Monument.  I have visited this park in the past, but the weather was so lousy, I didn't see much.  There's rain in the forecast again, so I'm crossing my fingers. 


No comments: