Saturday, September 27, 2014

Road tripping with a rock magnet

I have never been so ready to go on a road trip.  I had my car packed to go yesterday morning...the earliest ever!  I'm very happy that my new Outback is so roomy inside, and it's so much easier to get to things with four doors...my old Blazer only had two.  After saying goodbye to my cat Kimi...she was hiding, thinking she was going, too...I left early this morning and headed south.  My good mood didn't last very long.  Traveling on I-5 out of Issaquah, I suddenly heard the sound of something hitting my windshield.  I looked around, but didn't see any rock chip, so I figured it wasn't anything.  After stopping for a quick fast food lunch, I got back into my car...and saw it.  A CRACK IN MY WINDSHIELD!!!  Apparently, the rock had hit out my line of sight.  From the impact point, there was a crack to the bottom edge and another crack radiating up about five inches!  The change of temperature from the cooler west side to the warmer east side of the mountains probably caused the crack to manifest itself.  I cursed quietly to myself,  but there's nothing I can do now.  I can only hope the crack stops growing, or if it continues, doesn't spider walk across my field of vision.  I didn't think to get a photo of my cracked windshield...maybe tomorrow. 

After a short visit with my parents to show off my Outback, complete with window crack, I continued on to my only activity of the day.  In the southeast section of Washington state you'll find Palouse Falls State Park. The one and only time I've visited this park was back in the mid-80s, but it hasn't changed.  It's an impressive waterfall, although there's less water flow this time of the year.  Still, I got some great photos of the falls and downstream of it, where you can see the geology of the area in the rock formations.  Just think, a long time ago, the water level was at the top of those cliffs!




Tomorrow, I'll be doing a lot more driving...not so much sightseeing.  There's rain in the forecast late in the afternoon, then more rain the next day.  That might put a damper on my outdoor plans, but I have a few alternatives.  That's important when you're road tripping...

No comments: