Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Back to music: Five for Fighting in Redding

I left Weed, CA this morning with a couple of touristy things on the agenda before catching John Ondrasik's Five for Fighting string quartet show in Redding. Just a few miles down to road in the town of Mount Shasta in their city park is the location of The Headwaters of the Sacramento River. Spring water flows out of the rocks and forms the river.



People actually collect the free spring water, some drinking it without treating it in some way. Just as I arrived, a couple of fellow tourists filtered the water, and the gentleman drank it. He proclaimed, "It tastes like...water," which brought a chuckle out of me. I collected a pop bottle's worth of the elixir, which I will filter properly when I get home.

I took a little detour off I-5 to check out the McCloud River Falls. There are actually three falls to view...Upper, Middle and Lower. When I got there, though, the air was very smoky due to nearby prescribed burning. It was not pleasant. Still, I didn't let it stop me since I drove all the way to see the falls. If you use your imagination, the smoke looks like fog or mist. The photos here were taken from the top to the bottom of the river.




When I finally arrived in Redding, the first thing I did was have a traditional road trip lunch at In-N-Out Burger...double double...then drove to the Cascade Theater to check out the venue of tonight's concert.


Afterward, I went to my hotel for an early check-in. As I was being helped at the check-in counter, I noticed someone walk behind me toting a cello case. Hey! I do believe that was Peter Sachon, who plays cello in the string quartet accompanying John. By the time I got done with the check-in, the quartet's van was already driving off. Oh,well...I'll be seeing them later. Four hours later, I was back at the theater, with the marquee and building all lit up.


I went to the theater box office and informed them that I was on the Five for Fighting guest list, and I was given a small envelope containing my ticket. I soon discovered I had a pretty good seat...fourth row from the stage, center section. I had brought a small bag of Washington state food goodies for the quartet. I figured since I've given John enough gifts, why not treat his quartet to some road treats? John's quartet members are Peter Sachon (cello), Katie Kresik (1st violin), Melissa Tong (2nd violin) and Chris Cardona (viola). Since photos/video was not allowed in the theater, I have none of either to show here. The set list for the night was as follows:

What Kind Of World Do You Want (piano)
The Riddle (piano)
The Devil In The Wishing Well (piano)
Two Lights (piano)
Superman (piano)
Easy Tonight (guitar)
Ocean (guitar)
If God Made You (guitar w/Katie on violin)
QUARTET JAM
Chances (piano)
Augie Nieto (piano)
Born To Win (piano)
I Just Love You (piano)
100 Years (piano)
Encore: Hope, Bohemian Rhapsody (cover)

After the show, I went up to the stage as the quartet was collecting all their stuff. I called out to Katie and she came over to talk to me. I gave her the bag of goodies, and she was eager to show the others my gift. Walking out to the lobby, I waited with other theater patrons for John's arrival for the meet and greet. Then, I spotted Peter and told him that I was staying at the same hotel as the quartet. He thanked me for the gift bag, and I complimented Peter on his excellent cello work. Before he left me, I told him I would be seeing them again in Modesto for the next Five for Fighting show there.

When the line of people finally whittled down to a handful, I joined it at the tail end. Then, it was my turn, and I asked John to sign a couple of the new string quartet CDs for friends. Then, it was picture time, and the nice security guy helped out with that.


So, tomorrow we do it all over again in Modesto. I'll be driving about four hours, so we'll see how I feel about doing something else before I get there. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even with the smoke, the photos with all that autumn color are GORGEOUS! :-)

I still think you should get your own chair up on the corner of the stage.

KJ&MK