Friday, April 26, 2019

Devils Tower: A path less taken, part 2

One thing I've noticed on my road trip so far, the hotels I've been staying at have been very uncrowded. I guess not a lot of people are traveling right now. When I left Gillette, WY this morning, it was overcast and a bit windy. A little over an hour later, I arrived at Devils Tower National Monument.


The last time I visited the park was in 2014, and I walked along the Tower Trail, which circles the base of the stone monolith. Today, I opted to take a different path...one that the majority of visitors choose not to.  I went into the visitor center and asked a nice, young lady there about the Joyner Ridge Trail. I wanted to make sure it wasn't too strenuous for me, and she said other than a steep section midway, it was considered a moderate trail. She also added that it was her favorite way to see the tower. That was good enough for me! The Joyner Ridge Trail is a 1.5 mile loop, so it was the perfect way for me to spend the morning.


As usual, I had the trail to myself. Devils Tower is really best seen from afar. The Tower Trail does get you up close, but you spend the whole time looking up at it. Not only did I take photos of the tower from different perspectives, I took pictures of other things, too. And, yes, that trail was a bit steep! I took it slow, since my old knees appreciate that!






The return trip leg of the loop trail went through the trees, then an open meadow. I spotted some deer hair on the ground...no idea why. And, I saw a couple of black beetle digging holes in the dirt...again, no idea.





Of course, no visit to Devils Tower is complete without checking out the prairie dogs! I never get tired of watching their cute antics! I spotted one grooming another, and others were...just acting like prairie dogs do!




After lunch, I drove three hours to the town of Miles City to visit the Range Riders Museum. This museum sounded a lot more interesting that it actually was. I found it full of western memorablia, the majority donated to the museum from private citizens. Not a bad thing, but there was a lot of stuff that I've seen in other museums, only done better. I couldn't touch the medicine bundle...it was behind glass. If there was anything to get me excited, it was the deer lounging near one of the buildings.



Tomorrow, I'm planning to visit two parks, but the weather report is ominous. It's currently raining, and I'm hoping it will pass through overnight and things will be favorable in the morning. Crossing fingers...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't see a photo of 'Devils Tower' without thinking about mashed potatoes! ;-)