Saturday, April 27, 2019

North Dakota: Blowing in the wind

When I left Miles City this morning, I knew the weather wouldn't be good today. As I drove east on I-95, it was overcast with just the occasional mist falling. My first destination of the day was Makoshika State Park in Glendive, MT. I had heard good things about this park, and I was looking forward to seeing it. But, when I got to the park entrance, I found the road closed! What the heck? Only now, after checking the park website did I find out there is road construction currently being done. Yet ANOTHER road trip disappointment! I had no choice but to continue on to my other planned destination, Theodore Roosevelt National Park.

An hour later, I arrived at the park, located adjacent to the town of Medora, ND. This is the very first time I've visited the state of North Dakota, and I was excited to see the sights of this park.


I started my park experience by watching their informational video, then headed off on their 36 mile scenic loop drive. The weather continued to be horrible...overcast and very windy. I knew I wasn't seeing the park at its best, but I was going to make the most out of a less-than-ideal situation. Despite the lack of sunshine to bring out the colors, the hills and rock formations were still impressive. It reminded me a lot of Badlands National Park in South Dakota.





So, I mentioned that it was windy. Well, I found out what it was like to be FULLY exposed to the wind when I made the short jaunt to the top of Buck Hill...the 2nd highest point in the park. I was BLASTED by extremely gusty winds...I estimate it had to be at least 60 mph, possibly higher! It was a challenge to hold my camera still enough to take some pics! Boy, I wish it had been sunny!





Further down the road, the Boicourt overlook provided my favorite views in the park. And, just in case you were wondering, yes, there is wildlife! Bison all over the place and many prairie dog towns! Most of the prairie dogs were in their burrows. I don't blame them...the cold wind was terrible! The temps never got higher than 38 degrees, and with the wind chill? Yikes!





Before leaving the park, I returned to the visitor center to see their exhibits. Here are a couple of Winchester 50-95 rifles Teddy Roosevelt owned, and the Maltese Cross Cabin was his home when he visited the ranch he co-owned in the Dakota Badlands...before he became the 26th President of the United States.



Tomorrow, I'm planning to visit the north unit of Theodore Roosevelt National Park...I was at the south unit today. The weather looks to be even worse than it was today...RAIN! I'm really hoping that's not the case, but I have at least one other place to visit that might not make the day a total washout...literally!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, North Dakota and wind. Whodathunk? Not me, I've lived there. As the saying goes, it's so windy there because Montana blows and North Dakota sucks! Then again, that's a Minnesotan's bias. ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's unfortunate you weren't visiting Medora during a time when they have the "Medora Musical". It's an outdoor amphitheater show with lots of nice music and history.