Friday, October 4, 2019

Devils Postpile...finally!

Fueled by a muffin from yesterday's hotel breakfast buffet...I didn't see anything appetizing at this morning's hotel offerings...I left Bishop, CA and drove directly to Devils Postpile National Monument. I had been wanting to visit this park for quite a long time, but weather conditions nixed those past plans. Not today, though! When I arrived at the parking lot around 9:30 am, there were already many cars there. Part of the reason might be due to the fact that the John Muir and Pacific Crest Trails both cross through the park.


As for the trail to Devils Postpile, it was wide and flat to make it easy for visitors to reach the attraction. Compared to yesterday's exhausting hike, this one was a walk in the park, so to speak. I admired the views of The Buttresses, regal in the morning sunshine.



I opted to do the loop trail, which took me to the top of the rocky formation. Devils Postpile was created by basalt lava, which formed hexagonal columns when it cooled. From above, you can easily see the hexagon pattern.



When I reached the base of the formation, the true majesty of Devils Postpile was revealed. It was pretty impressive. I can't say I've seen anything like it so far in all my road trip park visits. Well, I guess Devils Tower has vertical columns, too.





Near the park and the Mammoth Lakes area, I checked out two other notable touristy stops... Minaret Vista and Earthquake Fault. The Minarets are part of the Ritter Range...a sub-range of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.




The phenomenon known as Earthquake Fault was formed by tectonic movement in the Earth's crust, the lava rock originating from Mammoth Mountain. According to the U.S. Forest Service website, it's more of a fissure rather than a fault. While I was looking it over, I spotted a few golden mantled ground squirrels. I never get tired to taking animal pics!




I'm staying in Reno, NV tonight. Tomorrow, I'll be driving all day as I make the long trek back home. One more overnight pit stop tomorrow and that will be it. My road trip is finally coming to an end. But, I'm ready to call it quits. Time to sleep in my own bed and reunite with my cat. I miss her and I know she misses me!

No comments: