Saturday, October 30, 2010

Fair weather and furry faces

I left Wilsonville, OR to cloudy skies. It rained a bit as I traveled south on I-5, but not much. I was crossing my fingers that the weather would be favorable for my visit to West Coast Game Park in Bandon, OR. It was early in the morning...just after 8:00 am...but the road was filled with cars decorated with window flags and large magnetic banners with beaver logos...Oregon State fans on their way to a game, no doubt.

It took me about 4 hours of driving to reach the zoo, and I was relieved to find it was not raining. As I entered the grounds, I just missed seeing a couple of tiger cubs available for petting. That's OK...I got up close and personal with baby tigers last year. I was eager to see what else they had. And, it was better...MUCH better! First, I got to hold a opossum again. This one was younger than last time, and such a sweetie! Next, a beautiful, 3 month old black leopard cub named Diesel. I got to pet AND play with him! Awesome! After walking around and taking photos of the other animals on display...more one on one! A half grown caracal named Cadence...a desert cat similar to a serval...was brought out for petting. So beautiful! Finally, more babies! Two lion cubs just a few weeks old. They were too young for holding, but I did get to pet them. I got pics of myself with the lion cubs and the leopard, too. Every visit to this zoo has been so rewarding! I mean, where else can you get so close to animals? And, it's kid friendly, too!

Tomorrow, I get up close and personal with nature...redwoods! I had seen some before on previous road trips, but I want to experience it more. So, I'll be taking the Avenue of the Giants instead of US Hwy 101 through the redwood area. And, I have a few other things on the agenda, too. Ah, it's raining outside...please don't rain tomorrow!

No comments: