Saturday, September 7, 2013

Flying high with The Eagles

About three months ago, I found out The Eagles were coming to Seattle.  As a child of the seventies, this band holds a special place in my musical heart.  From their classic hit song Take It Easy...written by one of the founding members of The Eagles, Glenn Frey and another favorite artist of mine, Jackson Browne...to Heartache Tonight, they provided me with a decade of fantastic songs.  I had never gone to an Eagles show, why, I'm not exactly sure.  I guess I COULD blame it on the concert doldrums...that period of time shortly after I graduated college where the opportunity to listen to live music was almost non-existent.  Of course, things all changed when I discovered Five For Fighting, and you know how it is now.

Anyway, I decided I wasn't about to pass up the opportunity to finally see The Eagles.  Now, I wouldn't have minded seeing them alone, but I knew it would be more fun to go with someone.  I asked around and found a friend who also loved their music, then went ahead and bought tickets for the show.  Fast forward to this last Wednesday.  The concert in Seattle was the current stop of the History Of The Eagles tour.  The sell out crowd at Key Arena consisted primarily of older folks...people who like myself have followed the band from the beginning.


With the tour theme of the History Of The Eagles, the band performed most of their well known songs in chronological order.  Glenn Frey was joined by fellow founding members Don Henley and Bernie Leadon, as well as Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit.  After hearing just a few songs, it was evident these guys had lost little over the years.  Their music and awesome harmonies filled the arena with nostalgic bliss.




They performed for about an hour, and after a 15-minute break to take a breather and move things around on the stage, they continued on for another hour and a half.  The appreciative audience was pretty laid back, which was totally understandable...the music itself is mellow and relaxing.  There were two encores, and they saved the best for last...their biggest hits Take It Easy and Hotel California.  



I can honestly say it was one of the best concerts I've ever been to, and probably the first time I had gone to a live show put on by artists I've grown up with.  I can't wait for what October will bring...more music on the horizon. 

No comments: