Monday, September 23, 2013

We gotta get out of this place

It was starting to get a bit crazy at work.  I thought summer was over, but there seemed to be one last rush of people getting their vacations in before the weather changed.  I was ready for a vacation.  Right on cue...road trip!  I was SO ready!

When I left home this morning for Day One of my fall road trip, it was raining on and off.  But, I knew the weather would get better as I traveled south.  Things started on a slow note as I hit rush hour traffic in Seattle.  My GPS suggested an alternate route, and I accepted it.  I exited the freeway, traveling along city streets until I bypassed the backup.  After buying a takeout sandwich in North Bend, I continued south over Snoqualmie Pass...and hit construction traffic!  This time, there was no escape.  I didn't find a clear road until Cle Elum, and it was only after negotiating the stacked up vehicles delayed by the slowdown. 

It was noon when I finally arrived at my main destination of the day, Ginkgo Petrified Forest State Park.  This park is named for the ancient ginkgo trees that were present on earth millions of years ago.  Today, there are remnants of those trees in the form of petrified wood and logs found in the park.  In addition, there are examples of other tree species in their petrified state.  After eating my lunch, I checked out the display of petroglyphs behind the interpretive center building.  The petroglyphs were relocated to the present site after the construction of the Wanapum Dam, whose rising water would have covered the relics if they hadn't been moved.




Unfortunately, the interpretive center was closed today, so I drove a few miles to the Tree of Stone Interpretive Trail.  At this site, you can walk the 3/4 mile trail and view the petrified forest of trees imbedded in the ground.  I had the trail all to myself, and it was a pretty easy hike.  As I walked along, I kept my eyes peeled for any signs of wildlife.  I spotted a black beetle crawling along the ground...don't know what kind it is, though.  The lizard that crossed my path was a little more interesting.  I'm pretty sure this is a common side-blotched lizard.  



The petrified logs were displayed along the trail and each had a protective metal screen covering them, put there to prevent vandalism and/or theft.  The fact that the trees are so far away from the nearby Columbia River tells you how high the water level was way back when.  




Before leaving the park, I took photos of the Wild Horses Monument across the river.  These life-size horse sculptures were created by artist David Govedare to celebrate the state's centennial.  I had been planning to hike up to the top and get a closeup look at the horses, but the day's travel delays nixed that.  So, I had to be satisfied with my faraway shots and save the hike for another time.  Still looks impressive, though!  








No comments: