Monday, September 30, 2013

Land of the Navajo

Had a pretty busy day...I visited FOUR states!  Actually, it wasn't all that busy and it wasn't that hard to accomplish.  After leaving Cortez, CO this morning, I drove about 45 minutes west to the Four Corners Monument. This monument is administered by the Navajo Nation and its location is the only place in the country where four states meet at one central point. 


My activities for the day continued within the Navajo Nation with my visit to the Navajo National Monument.  This is a fairly small park, but it was worth taking a short walk along the paved Sandal Trail to see their Betatakin cliff dwelling.  Although only seen from an overlook, that and the surrounding views were impressive. 




I also hiked the dirt Canyon View Trail to get a better look at...the canyon.  Betatakin Canyon to be exact.  And, I DID view the canyon, too!  Oh, and I took some photos.


As I was leaving the park, I was a bit disappointed that I didn't get my customary animal pic.  It was like someone was listening to me as animals literally threw themselves in front of my Blazer.  Well, maybe I'm being a bit melodramatic.  I had to stop for the sheep crossing.  Apparently, it's not uncommon to see sheep in Navajo Country.  AND, I got my animal pic!  Sweet!


After stopping for gas in Page, AZ, just a short distance down the highway I came upon Glen Canyon Dam.  Located on the Colorado River, the dam creates Lake Powell, a popular recreation destination.


Tomorrow, I'll be traveling to Las Vegas for a little night of entertainment.  No, scratch that.  For a BIG night of entertainment!  I'm seeing Elton John for the first time!  Needless to say, I'm SO excited!  After days of driving and hiking, I really need something like this.  I wonder if they'll let me take some pics...

No comments: