Sunday, September 24, 2017

Autumn in Yellowstone

Before leaving Twin Falls, ID this morning, I went to a grocery store to pick up some allergy and cold medicine, and a box of facial tissue with lotion. I'm not entirely sure what is bothering me, but I wanted to suppress the symptoms. I took an allergy pill but later regretted it. About an hour later as I was driving down the road, I started feeling very drowsy. I stopped at a rest area to take a break and felt a little more awake. As I write this, I just looked at the box and saw that the generic stuff I bought is comparable to Benadryl. Well, that explains everything. That's the one product that definitely makes me feel sleepy!

After driving all morning, I arrived at Yellowstone National Park in the early afternoon. Since I've seen all of the most popular areas of the park already...and that includes the geyser basins...I planned to experience places I haven't done. Due to a construction road closure, I didn't have as much time to sightsee. As I entered the park from the west entrance, I saw elk and buffalo sharing a field next to the Madison River.


I had just enough time to take in a short, but somewhat strenuous hike to the Brink of the Lower Falls located in the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone. The 0.8 mile round trip trail takes you down via a series of switchbacks. You tread carefully for the descent, then huff and puff going back up. Believe me, I wasn't the only one. The 7500 foot elevation really has an effect on you. But, the trek was worth it. Even with the cloudy skies, the view was impressive.




Afterward, I headed north on the Grand Loop Road over Dunraven Pass. The recent snows covered the Washburn Range in a blanket of white. I stopped at a viewpoint to admire the scenery and take a few pics.


Below the snowline in the town of Mammoth Hot Springs, I checked on road conditions at the visitor center in preparation for my park day tomorrow. The lawns around the town buildings are a popular lounging area for elk. I wasn't disappointed...there was a handsome bull elk and his harem relaxing on the grass.




Well, I think I'll hit the sack early and hopefully tomorrow, I'll feel well rested and free of this pesky allergy/cold that hasn't really manifested itself...and with luck, never will!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you ARE feeling better tomorrow. On vacation and on a road trip is no time nor place to be sick.

Ugh! Just the sight of snow makes me cringe. Not because of the cold, but memories of spending hours shoveling. No thanks. It IS pretty, though.

It sure is nice of those Elk to fertilize that lawn, free of charge! :-)