Thursday, September 28, 2017

Downer of a day

Well, it was bound to happen. Sometimes the best made plans are just not good enough. I did enjoy my stay in Jackson, WY last night, though! The last time I road tripped in the area, I spent the night at the Cowboy Village Resort. This place is awesome! Cabins right in town! I had a bigger cabin this time around and loved every minute of it! About the only negative critique...and it's a minor one...is the dreaded half pillows! As usual, I ignored them and used my own!




Anyway, back to my disappointing day. First, I drove about an hour and a half away to Pinedale in my quest to see pronghorn. Namely, I was interested to witness the antelope migration, known as the Path of the Pronghorn. There are a couple of overpasses spanning US Hwy 191 west of town that were constructed special for the antelope to cross the road. I turned off the highway near the Trapper's Point overpass and looked for pronghorn.


But, alas, all I saw were some hoofprints on the ground leading from the overpass. I think I was too early. Peak migration is supposed to be mid-October. Oh, well...onward.


Another two hours of driving later, I crossing into Utah. But, as I was traveling south, it got cloudier and soon it began to rain lightly. By the time I turned onto State Highway 44 south of Manila...also known as Flaming Gorge Scenic Byway...the rain had stopped.  It was still overcast, though, so the photos I took were not as colorful as they should have been. It was still a pleasant drive.



I had one other sightseeing destination, but it was still overcast, which put a damper on any decent photos. So, I decided to call it a day early and enjoy more time in my very comfy hotel room. It looks like the sun will return tomorrow, which should be a great excuse for another hike!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Even overcast, the scenery is still very beautiful. LOVE that cabin, too!