Friday, September 22, 2017

The first day of fall means...ROAD TRIP!

Yes, it's that time of the year...time for my fall road trip. Actually, I was packed two weeks ago. It was a rather sad day, though...the last day with my beloved cat Kimi. She was 19 years old and was too sick to keep going on. I said my last goodbyes that day and the next day she was gone. Her absence has left a big void in my heart, one that will eventually be filled with another feline friend. In the meantime, I'm using my road trip as a pick me up, and to forget about work for awhile.

Day One of my fall road trip was a whole lot of driving. I stopped at Uwajimaya in Bellevue to pick up lunch and some other road trip food essentials. About an hour and a half later, I stopped at a rest area and enjoyed my unagi...that's eel with teriyaki sauce...rice bowl.


My only sightseeing destination of the day was The Reach Museum in Richland, WA. This museum has exhibits showcasing the geology, history and science of the surrounding area and southwest Washington.

,
I found the exhibits on how the Ice Age created the amazing geological formations in the Columbia Basin especially fascinating. There was also a very informative presentation on the Hanford Nuclear Reservation and its importance in providing plutonium for the Manhattan Project...our first nuclear bomb...and our entire nuclear arsenal thereafter. After looking at the indoor exhibits, I went outside to check out a travel trailer that families stayed in when Hanford was under construction during World War II. Before leaving, I noticed some pretty seed heads of a plant I couldn't identify.



So, the first day of my road trip was a bit understated, but things will pick up as I continue on my journey. Tomorrow, I head into Oregon and Idaho, losing an hour along the way. The forecast says sunny skies and that's always welcome when you're road tripping!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That seed head looks like it might be this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragopogon_dubius

I would think that the all-metal trailer would act like an oven in the summer heat. "Easy-Bake Oven". :-)