Monday, October 2, 2017

Cedar Breaks: The Rampart Point Trail

I had a very nice stay in Hatch, UT last night. It was my second cabin accommodations of my road trip, and this one was almost as good as the last. I mean, check out the size of that television AND with Direct TV!



I had only one destination today... Cedar Breaks National Monument. I planned to tackle the four mile round trip Ramparts Point trail. It was rated as strenuous, and it wouldn't take long for me to find out why. My morning started out chilly...mid-30s...and foggy, with a brisk wind. Cedar Breaks has one large amphitheater of rock formations. Due to the low fog, it was partially obscured when I arrived.


I bundled up and headed out on the trail. The trail actually had a second viewpoint at the one mile mark...Spectra Point, I could see it in the distance as I walked.


There were many dead trees visible in the park...the result of spruce bark beetle infestation. There are also many bristlecone pines, which manage to survive in harsh terrain.



I noticed most of the visitors I encountered today only hiked to Spectra Point, which provides excellent views of the amphitheater.




As I continued on to Ramparts Point, I began to realize why the trail was supposed to be strenuous. The trail went downhill via switchbacks at first, then kept going down. I found myself thinking that I would have to hike back up later. As I walked, I noticed the trees had interesting features.



When I finally reached Ramparts Point, I thought is was just okay. I didn't think it was worth the tough hike ahead of me. After taking a breather and enjoying the absolute silence, I headed back.


Since I was in no rush, I took my time walking, and I found that I had to. It was pretty tiring! I did take photos along the way, which allowed me to rest. I kept my eye out for animals, and was rewarded when I sighted a least chipmunk and a female pine grosbeak.





Before I left the park, I checked out the Point Supreme Overlook right off the parking lot. As I walked to the viewpoint, I noted the sign which said 10,350 feet elevation! No wonder I was getting so tired hiking back up from Ramparts Point! I live basically at sea level, so higher elevation has an effect on me if I'm hiking. I didn't take many photos because I got much better views on my hike such as this one, which I snapped on my return trip.


Tomorrow, I have another hike lined up...a less strenuous one. My road trip is more than half over, and I'll be starting the slow trip back home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That second to last photo looks like a large "log" of pulled taffy! :-)