Sunday, October 1, 2017

Picture perfect at Kodachrome Basin State Park

For the first time since I started my road trip, my alarm woke me up. Up till today, I had been waking up before my alarm. But, staying up till 12:30 am to watch my WSU Cougars football team beat USC, then waking up at 5:45 am to get to Arches National Park extra early meant I was tired last night. But, I was in no hurry this morning. I spent the morning driving the scenic route through Utah...Hwy 24 east, then south on Hwy 12. I stopped briefly at Capital Reef National Park to check out the petroglyphs just off the road. Why do the people always look like space aliens?


After turning onto Hwy 12, the winding road increased in elevation, and I stopped at viewpoints to admire the scenery. The fall colors were in full swing and made for a beautiful photo.


Continuing south, the highway passed through Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. I had always wanted to visit this park, and I wasn't disappointed with the impressive rocky vistas. At one overlook, I noticed a couple of Hopi chipmunks eating rabbitbrush flowers. So cute!





Of course, my day wouldn't be complete without a little hike. I had read that Kodachrome Basin State Park had excellent rock formations, so that was my destination this afternoon.


I asked the friendly ranger for the best trail, and he recommended the 1.5 mile Angel's Palace loop trail. It turned out to be an excellent recommendation because I took a lot of pictures!





Tomorrow, the plan is for another longer hike and more magnificent rock formations. I'm so glad the good weather is holding up...and my old knees, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOTS of gorgeous panorama photos! Would make EXCELLENT wallpapers! :-)