Saturday, November 7, 2009

Goose out of water...LOTS of water

I started my day still feeling some euphoria from last night's Five For Fighting show. As the saying goes, absence makes the heart grow fonder. And, not having seen John perform for almost 6 months, I was DYING to see him again. I know, 6 months is not a long time, but it SEEMED long! Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing John again in San Francisco in just 3 short days!

I noticed my blog about Giada DeLaurentiis and the Lola donuts has proved quite popular...many people have read it! Thus, I'm going to mention another eatery recommended by another Food Network foodie. Pine State Biscuits in Portland was featured on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I decided to check out the place for breakfast before leaving The City of Roses. When I got there, I found a short line at the door. Not surprising, considering the food IS supposed to be good! After a 15-minute wait, it was my turn to order. After perusing the menu, I selected the McIsley...fried chicken, mustard, pickles and honey on their signature biscuit. I got it to go, and ate it in my Blazer. The biscuit and chicken were excellent and went perfect with the other ingredients, although I wasn't too keen on the mustard. Next time, I'll have to try the Fried Club.

My only destination of the day was the Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum in McMinnville, Oregon. This facility is home of the Hughes Flying Boat, better known as the Spruce Goose...the largest plane ever built. When I arrived, it started to rain. It steadily got worse and worse, with wind, and later thunder, lightning and hail. Thankfully, most of the exhibits were housed in two large buildings, so it didn't matter. I love air museums...actually museums in general. I tend to spend way more time in museums than most people can stand, thus it's better for me to go alone. When I left McMinnville about 3 hours later, the rain was still coming down hard, and continued on my trip south to my evening pitstop. There were a couple of covered bridges that I wanted to check out along the way, but the downpour put a damper on that idea. I'm hoping tomorrow will be a little drier. I have two zoos on the day's agenda, and I don't fancy looking at wet animals!

No comments: