Friday, November 6, 2009

When the going gets tough...you put on a show!

I drove to Portland today with high hopes of seeing another wonderful Five For Fighting concert...and starting my shortened groupie road trip. On my way there, I stopped to see the Stonehenge replica at Maryhill State Park on the Washington side of the Columbia river gorge. If you remember on a previous road trip, I was unsuccessful in finding the unusual monument. I did a little more research this time around, and found it with no problem.

When I got to Portland, I checked into my hotel, then made my way to 105.1 The Buzz radio station. John Ondrasik did a performance lounge thing with them back in September, and I was hoping to add their radio station sticker to my groupie mobile's back window. I failed in my mission...they didn't have any. Oh, well...hopefully I'll have better luck with a San Francisco station or two. Next, I swung by The Aladdin for a little pre-concert reconnaisance. I asked the guy at the ticket window if cameras would be allowed at the Five For Fighting show...yes, but no video and no professional photography. I also inquired about when John and Angel Taylor would arrive. He gave a time, but I always err on the side of caution and arrive earlier than necessary.

As it would turn out...it didn't matter. After freshening up and getting a bite to eat, I waited outside The Aladdin for any sign of John. I waited...and waited...and waited. In the meantime, at 4:00 pm, a few people were already starting to line up for the 8:00 pm general admission show. Now, I'm always used to being one of the first in line...often THE FIRST in line. So, this turn of events started to trouble me. I watched as some equipment arrived in personal vehicles, including John's guitar with his tour manager. But, still no John. Finally, at 5:30...and with more people joining the line out in front, I resigned myself to the fact that John would be probably be arriving at the last moment. I gathered my things, and joined the dozen or so fans patiently waiting for the 7:00 pm doors opening time.

When the theater opened, I staked out a seat second row center. It provided me with an excellent view of the stage. Angel Taylor opened the show promptly at 8:00 pm, and she was witty and thoroughly entertaining! She has a great stage presence, and plays a terrific piano...pretty good for a 21-year-old newcomer! But, I could sense the audience was waiting for the real show...John. At intermission, I rushed out to the lobby to see if I could score one of The Aladdin Five For Fighting posters stuck to the front doors. One of the questions I asked the ticket guy earlier was if there were any extra posters I could have. He replied that I could get the ones on the doors at intermission. It was a good thing I hurried out there. As I entered the lobby, I already saw posters in the hands of a couple of people. I got there just as the gal removing the posters was setting the Chances Mustang poster on the table. I grabbed it, and watched as she took down the even more coveted poster with John's promo pic...I grabbed that, too! Sometimes, the best things in life are free! But, I spent some bucks, too. They had a cool new Five For Fighting Mustang T-shirt that I just had to have.

Then, the main attraction began. John and Greg Suran took the stage to thunderous applause. It was obvious Portland loves John! He settled down at the piano, and got right into World, then The Riddle. As he switched to guitar, he explained that he would try to get through the show the best he could, despite his voice problems. And, at times, yes, John's voice cracked a bit. But, it didn't matter. John is such a trouper, and he gave it his all. John and Greg did Chances, Slice...my personal favorite of the night...and '65 Mustang on guitar. Back to the piano, John sang Freedom Never Cries, 100 Years, Tuesday and I Just Love You. For the latter, John told his usual story of his experience at The Ashram...but it was funnier than ever! John had the crowd in stitches, myself included! The hilarity continued when he went back to the guitar, and after he did If God Made You. John went into his Easy Tonight story, and brought down the house with his humor. John should get into standup comedy! He closed the show with Superman, but came out for his encore. After NYC Weather Report on guitar, he grabbed the microphone, and did an acapella version of his new song Hope, which was just awesome! It was a fitting finish to a memorable night.

Since I didn't get a chance to see John before the show, I decided to try for afterwards. I was parked conveniently behind the theater, directly opposite the back door. There was no one around, but soon a guy came out and appeared to be ready to possibly chauffeur...someone. I had a gift for John, and I decided he should have it sooner rather than later. Recently, John mentioned in an interview that he had moved, and I thought it would be nice to give him a housewarming gift. I thought something from my home state of Washington would be cool, so bought some local wild huckleberry and blackberry honey...really tasty stuff. And, we're talking the real deal...not flavored with juice! I made up a small gift basket, which I had with me as I waited in my car.

Suddenly, I saw John's tour manager exit the building, followed closely behind by John! I hopped out of my ride with my basket, and made my move. I said "Hi, John!" and he said "Hi, Wynne!" Ah, music to my ears! I explained to him about the gift, and also told him just how appropriate a gift it now was. If you don't know, honey is supposed to be good for vocalists, especially those with ailing throats. And, John knew this. Not wanting to hold him up, I wished him a good time at the Napa Valley event, and told him I would see him again at the San Francisco and L.A. shows. We exchanged our good nights, and we both left in our vehicles to our respective hotels...although I'm sure John's is much more luxurious than mine!

So, while John spends the next 3 days in Napa indulging in fine wine, and hopefully getting through another musical performance OK, I'll be doing some sightseeing in Oregon. I'm betting on the weather cooperating...rain can put a damper on a lot of things! Then, onward to San Fran and another Five For Fighting show. John's voice should be better by then, right?

1 comment:

Lee-Ann said...

That's a really sweet (no pun intended) story... Awesome! :)