Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Great Five For Fighting Groupie Road Trip 3

Yes, it time again! Time for me to make my faithful pilgrimage from state to state, following the only artist who could inspire such adoration. Once again, it's time for...The Great Five For Fighting Groupie Road Trip! This is the third time around for me. The first was back in April 2007...5 shows in 7 days. It was tiring but fun! I reprised following John Ondrasik last November...only 3 shows this time around. There was supposed to be a 4th, but John had to cancel due to laryngitis.

Knowing John would be touring again early this year, I saved up a lot of vacation time. Even though I had to decide what time period I wanted off for 2010 last December, fate was on my side. The Slice Tour coincided with my reserved leave perfectly. I waited as the tour schedule manifested itself and when it was finalized, I immediately saw its potential and made my plans. Seattle, Portland, Los Angeles, San Diego and Ivins, UT. San Francisco is right after the Portland show, but it would mean a 10-hour drive. It's possible, but it would also mean a pretty exhausting day...I decided to pass. Besides, 5 shows is plenty...more than most people. Or, everyone, most likely. ARE there any other Five For Fighting fanatics out there? I would sure like to know!

I didn't have any problems getting tickets for all the shows I plan to attend. Well, almost. Seattle was already set...my ticket for last November's canceled show is still good. Everything else went according to plan...except for the Ivins show. Tickets on sale Friday turned out to be the day before...unannounced and unexpected. I probably lost out on front row because of it...which REALLY ticked me off...but 2nd row center is still okay. Just as long as a tall person doesn't sit in front of me! So, this time around, 5 shows in 9 days...awesome!

Like my previous road trips, I plan things to death. I actually find pleasure in the planning...where to sleep, where to eat, where to have fun, etc. When I'm on a road trip, time tends to be precious, so the more I plan ahead, the more time I have for other things. My journey will actually be in two parts. The first half will be my groupie adventure, and the second half, more standard road trip.

Just when I thought everything was all set...road trip route laid out, hotel reservations made, tourist spots selected...John threw a small wrench in the works. Even though the Slice Tour will end April 9th with the Ivins show, doesn't mean he doesn't have more performances ahead. Turns out John will be doing a charity event in Las Vegas the next day. On April 10th, Five For Fighting will perform at Mix 94.1 Pet-a-Palooza, a fund-raising festival to benefit local non-profit animal groups. I looked over my plans, and decided seeing John yet one more time was more enticing than Zion National Park. So, in actuality, I'll be seeing John not 5 but 6 times on this groupie road trip! Sometimes, things just go your way!

At this time, Five For Fighting has already done 3 shows. Which means 17 more between now and Seattle...26 days and counting! And, believe me...I'm counting those days! I can't wait to hear John sing Two Frogs!

2 comments:

Lee-Ann said...

Have an awesome time! Wish I was coming with you! ;)

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

I wish you were, too! ALWAYS more fun to see John with fellow FFF fans! We REALLY have to get John to Australia! :)