Monday, October 19, 2015

Return to Yellowstone: What's a little rain?

I was abruptly awakened this morning by the hotel clock radio in my room.  The problem was, I didn't set it!  I had my own alarm clock set for 7:00 am, but here it was, 6:00 am and now I couldn't get back to sleep.  Oh, well.  I needed to get an early start anyway.  I was happy to see BACON at the hotel's free breakfast buffet.  Most serve sausage, so it's a nice bonus when you get BACON.

I drove east on Interstate 90, filling up gas in Three Forks, and also visiting the nearby Madison Buffalo Jump State Park.  The clouds looked ominous and I wanted to get to Yellowstone National Park quickly.  So, rather than hike the one-mile trail to the top of the cliff, I just took the shorter walk to the interpretive viewpoint.  There were displays explaining how the native peoples drove the buffalo off the cliffs to their deaths.  It was a quick and much easier way to harvest much needed meat.



Since I planned to see Mammoth Hot Springs, I entered Yellowstone from the north entrance at Gardiner, MT.  I got the customary park literature from the entrance booth ranger, which included the flyer I know so well.  Too bad some people don't take the time to read it and heed its warning!


I drove south to Mammoth Hot Springs, stopping briefly to take a pic of this sign.  Why this is really important, I don't know.


When I arrived in town, I spotted some of the local denizens lounging on the lawn near the visitor center.  A bull elk and his harem.  I guess you can't find a safer, more comfortable place to lie down.




OK, I admit I wasn't 25 yards away from the closest cow elk, but it didn't look like she was going anywhere.  Afterward, I headed over to the hot springs terraces.  The most picturesque is the Minerva Terrace, which means I took a LOT of photos!  At this point, it was raining on and off lightly, but then it thankfully stopped.  Nothing is worse than a wet camera.





Since I've already visited Yellowstone a few times on previous road trips, I decided to compose my photos a little more carefully, trying to get more creative shots.  At the same time, I'm taking things slower, soaking in the experience and appreciating the uniqueness of Yellowstone's natural wonders.  I hiked up the boardwalk to the Main Terrace for more picturesque views.




As I walked around the far end of the Main Terrace area, it started raining.  It was more than my rain hat and raincoat could handle, so I broke out the umbrella.  I had a feeling my sightseeing was done for the day.  It continued to rain as I drove to my pit stop for the next couple of nights, the town of West Yellowstone.  Along the way, I managed to squeeze off a few shots of Roaring Mountain.  The name comes from the hissing sounds emanating from the numerous fumaroles or steam vents.


Well, tomorrow's forecast looks like possibly more rain showers.  I'm hoping the emphasis is on possibly.  I'm planning another leisurely day touring the numerous geysers and hot springs, and if need be, I'll be wielding my umbrella again. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some of those hot spring terrace pictures will make GREAT desktop wallpapers - GORGEOUS! :-)