Friday, October 23, 2015

View from the top: Dead Horse Point State Park

I got up earlier than usual this morning because I had a lot of driving ahead of me.  Leaving Naples, UT, I traveled south through Colorado, then west back to Utah.  Four hours later, I arrived at my only destination of the day, Dead Horse Point State Park.  This park is known for having some of the most beautiful vistas in the world.  Even better than Canyonlands Islands In The Sky, and I've been there.  I was eager to find out if this was true.

After a quick picnic lunch, I headed out on the 1 1/2 mile East Rim Trail.  I was immediately blown away by the view.  As you can see, it was a picture perfect day, with temps in the low 60s.


The blue pools you see in the distance are potash evaporation ponds.  There is a potash mine, and they use water to bring the potash to surface.  After it dries in the sun, they collect the potash salts that are used for fertilizer.  Here's a better photo of the basin.


Oh, here's a little bit of trivia. You know the movie Thelma And Louise?  At the end of the film, they are supposed to be at Canyonlands National Park and drive off a cliff.  Well, the car actually went off the cliff at Dead Horse State Park!  If you watch the movie clip, you'll see some of the above views in the background!  And, in a funny coincidence, they were filming some sort of movie at the park while I was there.  I guess I should have asked what the title was.


For the return trip, I took the 2 1/2 miles West Rim Trail.  I added a few spur trails to get some additional views.  It was well worth the extra hiking.  Here's two more panoramic shots from the Meander Overlook and the Shafer Canyon Overlook.



While I was walking along the trails, I kept seeing Hopi Chipmunks.  But, they were too fast and didn't stay still long enough for me to get a pic.  I DID get a couple of other animals, though.  I think this is a Side Blotched Lizard.  And, I also got a sweet photo of a Cordilleran Flycatcher...the first time I've seen one of these!



Tomorrow, I'm planning another early wakeup.  I'll be visiting one of my favorite parks, Arches National Park.  I have a pretty long hike on my itinerary, but I plan to take it slow since I have the whole day. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely gorgeous! I can almost hear the silence except for maybe a breeze or bird. Scenes like that make one realize just how small and insignificant we really are. I just LOVE how Mother Nature humbles us! :-)