Friday, September 23, 2011

Bryce is nice

Beautiful weather for Day 7 of my road trip. I left Cedar City, UT and made the short drive to Cedar Breaks National Monument. It was downright chilly this morning...40 degrees! I had to put on my trusty Five For Fighting hoodie. The park was almost deserted...it's a pretty small one. It was kind of early for really good views of the rocky vistas...the sun wasn't quite right yet.


I took a few pics and went on a short hike on the Alpine Pond loop trail. It was a pretty easy walk except for one steep section. I had to rest a few times, probably because the 10,400 foot altitude affected me a bit. My high point of the day was a visit to Bryce Canyon National Monument. Personally, I think this park is even better than Zion, with scenery that rivals even the Grand Canyon. I drove along the park road to the very end, then backtracked, stopping at vista points along the way. Awesome scenery and perfect weather...what could be better? Oh, I saw my first wild pronghorn antelope!



One thing I've noticed after a week on the road and seven national parks visited. Most of my fellow tourists have consisted of retirees and foreign travelers. Almost no kids...except for the occasional baby. I guess it makes sense, since families tend to vacation during the summer, and everyone is now working or going to school. It makes it easier for me...less crowds, for the most part. It looks like another couple days of hot weather, then...cooler temps for the rest of my trip. And, NO RAIN in the forecast!

No comments: