Friday, September 30, 2011

Right place, right time

Another beautiful day at Yellowstone National Park. I took it easy by revisiting areas I enjoyed last year. I started out at the Upper Geyser Basin...that's the area around the Old Faithful geyser. As soon as I entered the visitor's center there, I noted the sign indicating the next scheduled eruption of Old Faithful. I got there just in time...it was in the next 10 minutes...give or take 10 minutes! Old Faithful is pretty faithful, but not pinpoint on the dot accurate. I then realized I forgot my camera in the Blazer. I rushed to the parking lot and got back just in time. But, it was early morning...around 8:30 am...and the cool temperatures created a lot of steam that obscured much of the fountain. That was okay. I figured I could probably catch another eruption later on...Old Faithful goes off about every 90 minutes.

As I walked back into the visitor's center to pick up a trail guide, a ranger announced that the Beehive geyser was going to erupt in about 20 minutes. Now this was an unexpected surprise. This particular geyser can erupt about 2 or 3 times a day...or just a few times a week. It has no set schedule. I quickly made my way out on the boardwalk to the geyser. Sure enough, the Beehive erupted...and put on a spectacular show! Because the Beehive has such a narrow cone, the water shoots like a fire hose. I captured the moment on video...the image below is a screen grab.


The rest of my day had more of the same...being in the right place at the right time. Some geysers erupt pretty often, or you can view pools that are constantly churning and spouting. Others may take awhile and most people don't like to wait around much...myself included. Next, I made my way of the Observation Point trail...and Solitary Geyser. This geyser was not that exciting...it spurted up a couple feet...but, it was a nice walk through a wooded area. Because I was all alone and kind of isolated from anyone else, I used my bear bell for the first time. It rings a little as you walk, and just lets bears know that you are around, which is a good idea in Yellowstone. When I returned to the main geyser basin, I was lucky to be there when the Plume Geyser erupted. And, the Sawmill Geyser put on an impressive display.


At noon, I was ready for lunch. Rather than the usual packed lunch, I decided to splurge a bit and eat at the restaurant in the Old Faithful Inn. It was my first sit down meal on my entire road trip! Afterward, I had one last chance to see Old Faithful...and the timing was right. Things went much better the second time aroung...I got a nice view of the geyser's famous plume.


I spent the rest of the afternoon viewing other hydrothermal sights at Black Sand and Biscuit Basins, and also Midway and Lower Geyser Basins. More small geyser eruptions, Fountain Paint Pots and beautiful pools...I love the blue ones the best!


My road trip is just about over...making the long drive back home starting tomorrow! Nothing on the agenda, just drive, drive, drive. I hear it might rain tomorrow night...now that's welcome news. The sunny skies that I've enjoyed throughout my trip has been nice, but I miss the rain...and cooler temps...and my own bed.

No comments: