Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The heart of rock and soul

Yesterday, I went to Bumbershoot in Seattle.  It's the city's big music and arts festival held over Labor Day weekend every year.  Now, the last time I went to Bumbershoot was in 2004, specifically to see Seal.  That year has proved to be a sore spot in my life because that was the same year Five For Fighting performed at the festival.  That was on a different day that Seal was there, so I missed out on what could have been a life changing experience.  Actually, it only delayed it for a year because I discovered John Ondrasik's music the following July, and the rest is history.  Still, it would be interesting to know if things would be different if I had been exposed to John's music a year earlier than I did.

But, I digress.  This year, my big plan for Bumbershoot was to see Hall and Oates.  Call it another opportunity to fulfill my neverending quest to see the musical artists I have missed throughout my lifetime.  And, Hall and Oates have been around for a LONG time!  I actually have three of their albums ON VINYL that I purchased back when they were released.  I also decided that the festival was a great way to experience my first rap concert, care of the artist Big Boi.  I'm no fan of rap music...in fact, I don't like it at all.  But, I was curious to see what the atmosphere of such a concert was like. 

When I got to Seattle Center...the site of Bumbershoot...I spent the first few hours walking around, taking in the bands playing at the different stages.  I wasn't real interested in the comedy acts or the short film festival, but I did check out the visual arts exhibits.  One building was devoted to Flatstock...music poster artists displaying and selling their art.  But, alas, there were no Five For Fighting posters, so I went away empty handed.  The mainstage acts this year were performing at Key Arena, which was a big improvement from the usual outdoor Memorial Stadium.  It was there that I saw Big Boi...and only stayed for two songs.  That was enough for me.  Just not my thing.


I left Seattle Center to check into my hotel and freshen up.  When I returned, after grabbing a bite to eat, I got into line early at Key Arena to score a good seat for the Hall and Oates show.  There was standing room on the floor of the arena, but I decided I would rather sit.  I got there early enough to see another musical act perform first... Fitz and the Tantrums.  As soon as the band took the stage and went into their first song, the bass player immediately caught my eye.  Hmm...he looked awfully familiar!  The band sounded great...they really got the crowd into the music.  Throughout their set, I kept looking at the bass player...was it or wasn't it who I thought it was?  Finally, the lead singer introduced the band members, including the bass guy.  Yes!  I was right!  It was Joe Karnes, who toured with Five For Fighting last year!  I got to know him when I followed John''s tour for six shows, and now he was playing for a pretty awesome band.


 When I heard that Fitz and the Tantrums would be doing a meet and greet after their show, I decided to try to see Joe.  I walked over to the merch booths...people were already lining up.  Luck was with me.  When the band appeared, Joe was trailing the group.  I greeted him and Joe seemed to remember me.  After all, I think you would remember someone who made cookies for the Five For Fighting band and crew!  I congratulated Joe for hooking up with such a great band, and told him that I was there to see Hall and Oates but was happy to see him!  Such a great guy...and a talented bass player, too!  I rushed back to my seat in time to see Hall and Oates take the stage.  Wow!  They hadn't lost their touch!  The set list included most of their biggest hits, and there were TWO encores!

Maneater
Family Man
Out Of Touch
How Does It Feel To Be Back
Adult Education
Say It Isn't So
She's Gone
Sara Smile
I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

Encore
Rich Girl
You Make My Dreams

2nd Encore
Kiss On My List
Private Eyes


One interesting thing I observed during the Hall and Oates performance was a woman signing the words for a group of deaf people sitting in a section below me.  It was cool to see them enjoying the beat of the music and watching the woman passionately signing the lyrics.  There were a lot of young people on the floor enjoying the music, and everyone provided the appropriate hand clapping during the song Private Eyes.  Hopefully, the younger audience who didn't know who Hall and Oates was...they do now!  It's been 37 years since their first hit single, She's Gone hit the charts, but their music will remain timeless!  Long live rock and soul! 

No comments: