Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Hello, Wyoming!

Left Vernal, CO with an easy day on the agenda...just a couple of museums to visit. As I crossed the Wyoming state line, I saw what you would expect from the Cowboy State. Actually, it's officially the Equality State, but the miles of open range on either side of the road made the Cowboy State more fitting. I hadn't gone that far when I spotted my first real herd of wild pronghorn. Yeah, I saw some pronghorn at Bryce Canyon National Park, but those were transplanted there. I pulled over to the side of the road, and tried to snap a photo of the 15 or so animals, but they were moving pretty fast and I could only manage one shot.


I stopped by Pinedale, WY to visit the Museum Of The Mountain Man. During the heyday of fur trapping, western Wyoming was the center of action, and this museum displayed much of that history. Later in the afternoon, I arrived at Jackson, WY, my pit stop for the night. It was here that I checked out the Jackson Hole Historical Museum. One exhibit I found most interesting was a list and map of movies filmed in the area. Not surprisingly, many western films were produced nearby...Shane was one of them. Also, more recent and well-known flicks, such as A River Runs Through It, Every Which Way But Loose and Dances With Wolves.

When I got to my hotel, I was pleasantly surprised to find I had a suite reserved for me. I had booked my room online and selected a room with a couple of queen beds. But, it wasn't costing me anything additional...hey, I'll take it! Tomorrow, I'm looking forward to my first visit to Grand Teton National Park. This afternoon, as I traveled to Jackson, I noticed many of the trees were already showng their fall colors. I hope to see more of that at the park. My camera is ready!

No comments: