Wednesday, September 21, 2011

When it rains, it pours

I got a late start this morning. Before leaving Reno, I wanted to fill my gas tank. I located a 76 station via the internet...I have a 76 gas card...and used my GPS to direct me. When I got there, I found it WASN'T a 76 station, at least not anymore. Not wanting to search around for another, I went ahead and filled up. Next, I planned to pick up a quick breakfast from Burger King, but when I got to the location...yes, using the internet again...it was nowhere to be found. Two strikes already, and I hadn't even left town yet!

I had a long day of driving ahead of me...about nine hours worth. I would be traveling about 2/3 the length of Nevada...desert country. Things continued to work against me as I encountered two construction zones before the halfway point. Now, I didn't need this! My day would be long enough as it was with the long drive. Construction delays wouldn't make it any easier! At my midday pitstop in the town of Tonopah, I filled the tank again...my Blazer is kind of thirsty...and decided to pick up lunch. I went to a Subway, hoping to try out their new...and highly advertised...oven-baked crispy chicken sandwich. But, when I placed my order, the counter girl checked something behind her, then disappeared in a back room. When she returned, she told me they were out. HUH? It was 12:30 pm! How could they be out already! They had the whole day to go! Reluctantly, I ordered something else. At this point, I realized the planets were not aligned for me on this day.

As I continued south, my journey was slowed two more times by construction. One wait was almost a half hour! Needless to say, I was getting extremely frustrated. I had been planning to get my Blazer washed and make a necessary shopping trip. Now, I would be lucky to get to my hotel before dark...and I hate to drive after the sun goes down. Oh, another downside to the traffic stops for construction. When that happens, vehicles bunch up, particularly the big rigs and RVs. It makes it that much more challenging to pass the slower vehicles on the two-lane highways I was traveling on.

About 10 hours later, I checked into my hotel. What a day! I was hot, exhausted and hungry. When I got to my room, I found it warm and stuffy. Great. It took about an hour to get it comfortably cooled. To top it off, the free hotel internet is sluggish and forgot that I crossed over into the Mountain time zone. Which means I lost an hour AND I missed Survivor because prime time starts an hour earlier! Sigh. I'm ready for this day to be over. Tomorrow has to better! On a bright note, my Blazer performed beautifully in the 100+ degree weather. The air conditioning worked perfectly and it didn't get overheated. Pretty good for a ride pushing 200,000 miles. I love my groupie mobile!

No comments: