Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Assignment: Dog Town

I was so happy to see sunshine this morning as I left my pit stop in Bozeman, MT.  It was a bit windy, but rain was almost non-existent as I drove to my first destination of the day... Greycliff Prairie Dog Town State Park.  It didn't take very long to see prairie dogs...they were some right at the entrance of the park.



I quickly found out that the little critters are a bit shy when vehicles drive by or people are near.  I solved that problem by staying in the car and taking photos from there.  I got some pretty nice shots...they ARE cute!  I thought they looked more like prairie puppies rather than prairie dogs.  They are very chubby and bounce when they run!

 

My destination for the afternoon was Little Bighorn Battlefield National Monument.  Originally, this park was known as Custer Battlefield National Monument.  But, the name was changed in 1991 to not only memorialize the U.S Army 7th Cavalry, but also the Sioux and Cheyenne Indians who fought to protect their families and their way of life.  It was pretty sobering seeing the headstones of the soldiers and warriors who fell in battle.  There was also a 7th Cavalry memorial on Last Stand Hill...where Custer lost his life.  On the flip side, the Indians also have a memorial with the names of warriors who fought and those who died in battle.






So, there MIGHT be a little rain tomorrow afternoon.  I may have to start out my day a bit earlier than my 7:00 am wake up.  I have high hopes for the free breakfast I'm supposed to get, though...

No comments: