Sunday, October 12, 2014

The way west

I had an excellent overnight stay in Provo, UT.  I stayed in a suite at an extended stay hotel for a very reasonable price and it had everything I needed to be comfortable.  I slept like a log and made good use of the extra hour, since I would be traveling from Mountain time back to Pacific time.  Heading west on I-80, I stopped at a rest area to check out the Bonneville Salt Flats.  This place is famous as a site for racers wanting to break world speed records.  There was too much water near the shoreline so I wasn't able to actually walk on it.  It was still cool, though.



After three hours of driving, I stopped in Elko, NV for lunch and a visit to the Northeastern Nevada Museum.  This museum had a mix of history, art and some guy's stuffed animal collection.  That would be his animal trophies.  Personally, I prefer my animals alive.  I DID get a photo of someone's horsehair coat, and a very pretty chamberpot!




When I exited the museum, my eyes were immediately drawn to bushes with purple flowers...and monarch butterflies!  I don't see these butterflies where I live, and definitely not so close up.  Photo op!


Just south of Elko is the California Trail Interpretive Center.  This museum has exhibits that promote the emigrant experience back in the mid-1800s when wagon trains traveled the various trails going west.  I enjoy exhibits that are a little different like this representation of a typical meal.  That would be bacon, biscuits and beans.  I also thought the display of a coyote digging a grave was pretty funny.



Well, tomorrow is the last full day of my road trip, then the final push home.  It's time...life on the road is wearing on me.  Not that I haven't been having fun! 

No comments: