Monday, October 6, 2014

Trains, Planes and Automobiles...did I say trains?

How was I to know?  I guess if I had consulted Trip Advisor, I would have known.  So, I was settled into my hotel in Cheyenne, WY last night when I heard train horns.  Loud train horns.  Not once, but several times during the evening.  At that point, I DID check out Trip Advisor, and sure enough, there were complaints about train horns.  Concerned that my sleep would be affected by the cacophony, I decided to use the rock and roll earplugs that I always carry with me.  Now, these earplugs don't cancel out ALL noise, but it was better than nothing.  Turns out I only recall hearing train horns only once during the night, and I immediately went back to sleep.  Needless to say, I won't be staying at that hotel...or any hotels in that general vicinity...in the future.

Before leaving Cheyenne this morning, there was one little thing that needed to be addressed.  A few days ago, I noticed only the driver's window switch was working.  None of the other automatic window switches seemed to work.  That could be inconvenient if I want to take a photo on the passenger side of the car and can't roll down the window.  I happened to notice a Subaru dealership just a block away from my hotel yesterday, so decided to drop in to see if my problem could be fixed.  I spoke to a nice young lady working in the service department, and explained my window switch issue.  To my relief, she knew exactly what the problem was.  I had inadvertently hit the window disable switch adjacent to the door lock switch.  Now, why didn't I notice that?  I felt pretty silly, but my old Blazer never had that particular switch.

I drove down to Denver and spent a relaxing day at a couple of museums.  The first one was the Forney Museum of Transportation.  This facility had a lot of nice old and rare cars, in addition to other modes of transportation.  Trains, bicycles, motorcycles...even horse drawn vehicles.






One thing that added a little flavor to your standard museum of this type was the inclusion of wax figures.  They came from a former local wax museum, and they conveniently fit in to the historical theme. This bright yellow beauty was once owned by Amelia Earhart...who is sitting behind the wheel.


One display that was not so effective was the Wright Brothers.  I don't know if they really looked like this, but it got a chuckle out of me!


In the afternoon, I went to Wings Over The Rockies Air & Space Museum.  This museum didn't have the biggest collection of planes, but they more than made up for it with their other exhibits.  There was a big emphasis on aviation history in Colorado, and I really enjoyed the video with Harrison Ford promoting flying in the Rocky Mountain area.




The one fighter...actually starfighter...that most impressed me was the official Star Wars X-Wing replica.  It had been constructed for several Star Wars promotional events, and now resides permanently at this museum.


I really enjoy seeing miniature items in museums, and I loved the cross section of a jet plane model that included little people inside.  Such attention to detail! 


So, I'll be spending one more fun day in Denver, and it looks like the weather will be perfect for a zoo visit.  As usual, I'll be looking to take a lot of animal pics! 

No comments: