Saturday, October 4, 2014

South Dakota's Jewels: Part Two

Before leaving Wall, SD this morning, I had to try Wall Drug's famous donuts.  I bought two, one with vanilla icing and the other chocolate.  I ate the large vanilla cake donut and I would have to say it was darn good!  I saved the chocolate one for later.  I was so relieved the wind had died down from yesterday's huge gusts.  By the time I reached Mount Rushmore National Memorial, the sun was shining, and I was in good spirits.  As I approached the attraction, I stopped to get a distant photo of the famous sculpture of four Presidents...George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.


As I walked the Presidential Trail, I took photos of the sculpture from many vantage points.  It's really hard to take a BAD photo, and it's interesting how each figure can look different from alternate angles.



When I left Mount Rushmore, there were a couple of cars stopped in the road looking at...mountain goats!  I have NEVER seen wild mountain goats, and here were a female and her calf!  Awesome!


The second touristy destination of the day was Jewel Cave National Monument.  After buying my ticket for the Scenic Cave Tour, I waited around outside for a bit.  There were chipmunks running around the area adjacent to visitor center building.  I think they were least chipmunks, and I got a photo of one eating what looks like a wasp!


The hour and a half cave tour was interesting.  As with my previous attempts to take cave photos, needless to say, it's hard to get good shots with a point and shoot camera.  Here are a couple to get an idea what I saw.



I had been hoping to see Wind Cave National Park, too, but realizing I wouldn't make it there in time for a scheduled tour, I changed my plans.  The Black Hills area around Jewel Cave consists of rolling prairies, and as I left the area, I spotted a sign that warned to watch for bison.  Next thing I know, I spot cars stopped along the side of the road...again!  This time...pronghorn antelope!  Now, I've seen pronghorn once, but I didn't get very good photos.  It was a different story on this occasion.  Such beautiful animals!




As I continued driving, I barely made it one mile when I came across a single young bison...then a larger adult...and another!  They were all peaceful grazing by themselves.  Here's a pic of the third one I saw.


My final destination of the day was the Mammoth Site of Hot Springs. This site is the largest Columbian mammoth exhibit in the world, and also houses woolly mammoths, too.  One thing that makes this place unique is that the mammoth bones are in dirt...they are NOT fossils! 



Tomorrow, I head over to another state and more outdoor activities.  I see there's more wind in the forecast...maybe a little rain, too!  Ugh! 

No comments: