Sunday, May 17, 2015

Beach day...and the chariots of yesteryear

My road trip is halfway done, and the fun continues.  Today, I decided to spend the day in Venice...that would be in California.  On a previous road trip, I spent a little bit of time checking out the beach, but didn't really experience it.  This time around, it was a whole lot different.  I got there early, and did the Venice Canal walk.  Yes, there are canals in Venice!  A quiet, unique neighborhood, with ducks hanging out in the water and a place even squirrels call home.


I spent the rest of the morning exploring Venice Beach.  It appears Sunday, the low riders congregate in the parking lot there.


There were many sights and sounds as I walked along the Venice Beach boardwalk.  Surfers testing their skills among waves, bicycle riders rolling by, paddle ball and volleyball players battling it out, vendors hawking their wares, and many other people like me just enjoying the day.



I had an early lunch at a Venice Beach institution... Jody Maroni's Sausage Kingdom.  I felt like a little bit of spice, so I opted for a Hot Italian sausage sandwich.  Delicious!  Afterward, I decided to do something a little different.  OK, something REALLY different.  I went to my very first Freakshow!  Yes, such things DO exist, and Venice Beach Freakshow is actually pretty well known. They even have their own television show on AMC network called... Freakshow.


Some might find such things exploitive, but these people are genuine entertainers and hopefully those who watch a freakshow learn something about those who are not "normal."  We were treated to a show of fire eating and sword swallowing, and some tricks that must be seen to believe.  In addition, there were animal oddities.  For example, two-headed turtles and a dog with five legs!





In the afternoon, I revisited the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo.  On Sundays, they bring a few cars out of their collection, and you can actually ride them!  It's the only auto museum in the country where you can do this. Today, I was thrilled to ride a 1951 Nash Super Statesman, a 1932 Packard 900 Coupe, and a 1926 Pontiac.  The latter is the first model of Pontiac ever built, and I was told the one I rode was Number 7 off the assembly line!  It has wooden spoke wheels! 





It was a lot of fun riding those old cars, and it's great that there are places like that museum keeping history alive.  Tomorrow, I'll be making another couple studio visits.  It will be my last full day in Los Angeles, then the slow drive back north and home.  One more week to go...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like it would be fun to take one of those boats up and down that canal. Very neat!

I hope those low-riders don't have to ever go over any railroad tracks or they'll have a problem.

The beach looks lovely and I'd love to wiggle my toes in the sand while watching the surfers - hopefully NOT getting eaten by a SHARK! :-O

So, does that dog from the freak show run 25% faster than all the other dogs!?! :-P

OH, what FUN to be able to ride in those cars!!!! That would be a BLAST!

KDK & Josie

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

I'm betting that's some pretty pricey real estate along those canals! I'm sure those low riders have hydraulic shocks to just lift those bodies high enough to clear a railroad track! And I think that dog gets carried around a lot. After all, it's a STAR!