Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Yosemite's Picture Postcards

It was a bit chilly when I left Bridgeport, CA this morning.  By the time I headed into Yosemite National Park via Tioga Road, it got even chillier.  Driving up above the timberline, there was snow and temperatures were near freezing.  I breathed in the crisp air and snapped a shot of the snowy vista.


A little further along the road, I came upon a couple of impressive rock domes, Lembert Dome and Pothole Dome.  They were both way too steep for me to attempt a climb, but there was one brave soul who made it to the top of Pothole.  That tiny speck is on the left at the top?  That's him!



At about the halfway point along Tioga Road, I stopped at the Olmsted Point vista.  From there, you can see the famous Half Dome from a different perspective.


As I drove south toward Yosemite Valley, I checked out a distant Half Dome the way most people are familiar with.  I didn't notice when I snapped the pic that I caught a bird...probably a turkey vulture...in mid-flight.


I continued on into Yosemite Valley, but didn't linger.  I've been there a few times and have already seen the sights.  Still, I couldn't resist taking photos of the always impressive El Capitan and Yosemite Falls.  And, as I was leaving, I took an obligatory pic of the valley.




I wanted to get a quick hike in, so before leaving Yosemite, I went to the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias.  I had visited this place once before...there was actually snow on the ground at the time.  But, big trees...redwoods and sequoias especially...always impress me.  Here's a photo of one of the largest in the grove, Grizzly Giant.  It's estimated to be around 1800 years old!


From there, I decided to take a less traveled route back to the parking lot.  As I walked along, I came across a lone sequoia right next to the trail.  Unlike most of the other trees in the grove, it didn't have a protective fence around it.  It allowed me to place my hands on its trunk and "talk" to it.  Such trees are the oldest living things on the planet, and I can't help but wonder what events they have witnessed throughout the ages.  Oh, and just in case you were wondering...YES, there be squirrels!  Actually, a squirrel AND a chipmunk.  I saw this California Ground Squirrel and Alpine Chipmunk living in the sequoia grove.



Tomorrow, I return to civilization...that would be the big city.  Los Angeles!  It will be five days of fun in the sun.  Even though I won't be driving so much distance-wise, it will be a challenge playing speedway with the locals. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! Those photos are FANTASTIC!!!! I really MUST get down there to see that place. It looks SO absolutely beautiful! Thank you for sharing those snippets of Mother Nature's gorgeous side.

Those squirrels look a bit shifty - possible trouble makers.

Also, that HUGE tree looks like it might have a few rogue branches that need to be trimmed off - just like at work. If I go, I'll bring my saw. HA! :-)

KDK

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

Yosemite has such beauty! Yes, you must visit! If you ever go, I would recommend anytime other than summer, though. Traffic is murder and it was already getting pretty busy while I was there. Nah, the critters were just angels! On the other hand, they might sense when someone is afraid of them! There is NO WAY you could make it up a sequoia! It's a LONG way up before you get to any of the branches!