Monday, May 18, 2015

Studio tours are not created equal

Today was my last full day in Los Angeles.  When I left my hotel in Hawthorne, it was only supposed to take about 20 minutes to drive to Culver City for my tour of Sony Pictures Studio.  No such luck.  It was rush hour, and I immediately asked my GPS to find another route away from the freeway gridlock.  I made it to Sony Pictures Plaza with plenty of time to spare.  As I waited for the tour to start, I looked over the movie memorabilia inside the building like this Men In Black 3 monocycle.



For the next two hours, I joined 14 other people for a tour of Sony's backlot and stages.  To be totally honest, I didn't find the tour as good as the ones put on by Paramount and Warner Brothers studios.


Yeah, it was interesting to see the sets of The Goldbergs, Ray Donovan, Masters of Sex and Wheel Of Fortune.  But, everything else was greatly abbreviated or skimmed over.  Okay, it was also kind of cool to see Adam Sandler's production company office.  But, I actually got more excited spotting actor Bryan Cranston's parking space!


His hit series Breaking Bad was a Sony Pictures Television production.  Speaking of Breaking Bad, anyone recognize this?


For all you Breaking Bad fans, this is none other than the famous meth lab on wheels that Walter White and Jesse Pinkman used in the first couple of seasons.  Everyone in the tour...myself included...took a lot of pics of the RV.  In the afternoon, I headed over to Warner Brothers Studios to attend a live taping of Conan...Conan O'Brien's talk show.  While I killed time waiting in the parking garage, I had a nice chat with a female Warner Brothers security guard.  Appearing on the Conan show were the legendary Betty White, sex mathematician Clio Cresswell and musical guest Lord Huron.  Being in the audience was a lot of fun, and I'll definitely want to see Conan again when I'm in town again.

And so, my time in the big city has come to an end.  This country mouse is ready to hit the road again and get back to nature where people are more scarce and animals are waiting to be found.  Tomorrow, I start the slow drive north back to Washington. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When recognizing a parking spot is the highlight of your tour, yeah, maybe you didn't receive the best tour ever.

I hope you checked the under-bins of that RV! If it had drugs up in the main area, I bet they had LOTS of firewood - and probably some MANGOES, too!!!! :-P

Save travels!

KDK & Josie

P.S. - do the squirrels nest up in those palm trees, too, or are they a bit too high and sparsely branched for the squirrels to be interested in?

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

Actually, if there was anything left in that RV, it was probably a few stray pieces of Heisenburg's special blue meth! I don't think squirrels nest in palm trees, but I bet they might eat the dates I saw hanging from at least one tree!