Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Pinnacles and seals...yes, seals again

I had a fun, but tiring day.  I did a lot of walking, but is was with purpose.  I spent the morning at Pinnacles National Park hiking to the Balconies Cave.  I visited Pinnacles in the past to hike, doing a very strenuous five miles to High Peaks.  Today was easier...just two miles...and I had a lot of photo opportunities while I was walking.  With Machete Peak overhead, I had Balconies Cave to myself...there were very few people around.



Hiking to the cave and back, there were wildflowers, butterflies and lizards that attracted my attention.  Naturally, my camera was pretty busy.  The red admiral and common buckeye butterflies were beautiful!






After eating my picnic lunch, I drove north on Hwy 1 to Año Nuevo State Park. The main attraction are the elephant seals which are present year round at this marine conservation area.  It was a long walk to the beach...over a mile...but it was worth it!  There were about 300 seals lounging on the sand.  Females, juveniles, calves and young males were going through their yearly molt.  It was all pretty impressive.  One female was actually looking at me as I snapped photos.









Offshore from the park is Año Nuevo Island with an interesting sight...an abandoned lighthouse station.  Currently, the only residents are seabirds...a lot of them!  



Tomorrow, I'll be spending most of the day in San Francisco.  It might rain a little, but that's OK.  I'm not really planning on doing much outdoors.  Four more full days of my road trip left!  Slowly making my way back home! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, what beautiful mountains! Those seals look absolutely exhausted from all their hard work of looking cute all day.

Is that lizard following you? I told you to NOT pick up hitch-hikers, especially if they spend the whole time trying to sell you car insurance. :-P

KDK & Josie

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

Watch out! You might find one of those hitchhikers in your bag...or maybe your hot dish...when I get back! LOL