Sunday, May 10, 2015

Newberry National Volcanic Monument: the land of lava...rocks

I left Salem, OR this morning to sunny skies.  I stopped briefly in Bend to pick up lunch, a BLTA...that's bacon, lettuce, tomato and avocado...from Planker Sandwiches.  My destination of the day was Newberry National Volcanic Monument.  When I arrived at the park, the first thing I did was drive up to the top of Lava Butte.  The view of the surrounding area was fabulous, including Mount Hood in the distance.



When I got back down, I decided it was time to dig into my picnic lunch.  The BLTA tasted as good as it looked.


So much to see, so little time.  After my meal, I walked along the one mile Trail Of Molten Land.  Right off the bat, I spotted movement.  Some sort of unidentified lizard.  I snapped a pic, like I always do when I see wildlife.


I continued on, admiring the vast field of lava rock.  I reached a viewpoint which gave me a good look at the Lava Butte caldera.  There was a family also taking pictures at the viewpoint.  I offered to take a photo of all of them, and they gladly accepted.  I added a "Go Cougs!" as the dad was wearing a Washington State University cap.  He was happy to meet a fellow Coug in Ducks-Beavers country.


As I was walking back to the parking lot, there were golden-mantled ground squirrels running all over the place.  A few kept approaching me, probably hoping for a handout.  Sorry kids...no feeding the animals!



I left Lava Butte and drove south to the Newberry Caldera to hike the Big Obsidian Flow trail.  This one mile trail's highpoint is the vast quantity of obsidian and pumice.  I've never seen obsidian before, and I was amazed by the smooth, shiny blackness of the volcanic rock.  While walking along the rocky trail, I got great views of Lost Lake below and Paulina Peak above in the distance.




Before leaving the monument, I took a short walk to see Paulina Falls.  Actually a double falls, it was a fitting end to a very nice day.  Tomorrow, it looks like the weather might not be too favorable for outdoor activities.  I'll play it by ear and see what happens. 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I had seen "movement" like that I would probably have taken off in the opposite direction. I do NOT like anything snake-like, and lizards are just snakes with legs. YUCK!

I've heard that 'Big Al's' has a really good BLTA, too. We'll have to give it a try sometime so you can compare the quality. Continued safe travels. :-)

KDK

Anonymous said...

I hope all is well. The photos you are taking are spectacular. Do you know if I could hunt there? I would assume there should be deer. The chipmunks look tasty, but not much meat.
Davidson

Anonymous said...

Chuck Norris does not shoot deer; he stares them down till they drop dead.
Davidson

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

Kurt, have you heard of the glass lizard? It has no legs! Would you be scared of that? I've never eaten at Big Al's. We'll have to do that sometime.

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

Davidson, I'm pretty sure they don't allow hunting. Too many people around, being a National Park and all. Apparently Chuck Norris has never met a rabid squirrel...or fox or bat, etc etc. He could stare all he wants at the animal gnawing on him! LOL