Friday, May 15, 2015

Return to Warner Brothers Studios...The Deluxe VIP Tour

Last night, I stayed up to watch The Late, Late Show with James Corden.  I was curious to see if I would see myself sitting in the audience...and if I made the final cut at the conclusion of the show.  I didn't.  But, it was nice watching on TV what I had seen live earlier in the evening.  Today, I had a full day's worth of fun at Warner Brothers Studios.  I was there for their five hour deluxe VIP tour.  I joined ten other people, led by tour guide Thom, going behind-the-scenes and learning how television and movie magic is made.  We started things off with a special treat.  Everyone got their Kodak moment with a genuine Oscar statue.  Here I am posing with the real deal.


We started out the tour by seeing different locations and sets where they do their filming.  From a large depression that could easily be filled with water, residential buildings that double as offices and the studio's backlot.  That's Thom telling us about what movies and TV shows we've seen within the simulated city.




Stage 16 was especially impressive.  It's the tallest soundstage in the world, and can be filled completely with water for aquatic scenes.


We spent quite a long time in the building that housed the prop department.  Everything that you could possibly want to decorate your set is located here.  I was amazed by their collection of vintage phones!  And, if you were thinking there wouldn't be any squirrel pics while I'm in Los Angeles, well think again!  Here's a prop squirrel that was featured in Johnny Depp's movie, Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory!



After a nice lunch at the studio fine dining hall or commissary, we continued with the tour, visiting the sets of The Big, Bang Theory and Mike & Molly.  The highpoint of the day were the exhibits celebrating the studio's 75 years of Batman.  Batmobiles, costumes and props from all the Batman movies.  Pretty cool!






As part of the tour, I received a couple of gifts.  A book on the brothers Warner, and a photo taken in front of a green screen, which depicted the Tumbler Batmobile bearing down on me.  In all, it was a great day at Warner Brothers Studios!  Tomorrow, I have museums on the agenda.  I'll be seeing something very special at a particular art museum.  Nothing wrong with a little culture now and then! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oscar, eh? Does he have a last name of "M-E-Y-E-R"? :-)

Those stage sets look pretty cool and HUGE, too!

I'll always be a fan of the "original" Batmobile from the TV show in the 1960's. Very cool!

Hmm, who knew that penguins were all Steam-Punk before there WAS Steam-Punk!?!

Continued safe travels, and thanks for sharing your adventures!

KDK

Five For Fighting Fan Central said...

That Oscar was pretty heavy...8 pounds! They don't have any of the Batman TV series stuff at Warner Brothers because...the show as made at another studio! I asked.