Saturday, April 16, 2016

Craig and the Queen: Excitement aboundsI

I had a long day yesterday, which is why I didn't post a blog entry last night. It started out with my fun day at CBS Studios in Studio City. I was there for the live taping of Celebrity Name Game with the always funny Craig Ferguson as host. I had a priority ticket, which guaranteed me entry for the show. Unfortunately, it didn't guarantee me the best...or the most comfortable...seat. Not only were the chairs your garden variety inexpensive dining room type, they seated a big guy next to me. Needless to say, I wasn't able to really sit straight for over two hours! I had about two thirds of my chair. At least I was at the end of the row so I had a little breathing room. But, that didn't really detract from me enjoying the experience. They taped three shows, and the audience was responsible for cheering and clapping accordingly. The two celebrities scheduled to play were Constance Zimmer (Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, UnREAL, House of Cards) and Sherri Saum (The Fosters, Gossip Girl). Craig was jovial and his dialogue with the contestants and the celebrities was hilarious! During the third show, the contestants...a pair of sisters...reached the bonus round and won $20,000! It was exciting to see, and was a great way to end our taping day.  

I left Studio City around 2:00 pm for what should have been about a half hour drive to Long Beach. But, I hit rush hour...and Friday afternoon...traffic, and it took me over two hours! At least I wasn't in a rush. My destination was the historic ship, The Queen Mary, which is now a hotel! Check in was quick, and I soon found myself walking down the hallway to my stateroom. It was like stepping back in time! 



The lights turned on with a button, not a switch, and there were original but non-functioning fan, clock and heater. I could feel a little cool air movement, but there was no air conditional and the porthole was closed. It was then I realized there were a few air vents on the walls that provide both warm and cool air!  Cool!  The bathroom also had a few surprises. No, the shower was NOT salt water!






In the evening, I decided to take a little stroll around the ship. The Queen Mary looked wonderful as the sun when down, and the Long Beach skyline was also beautiful. 



At 9:30 pm, I went on the Paranormal Ship Walk. We got started about 10 minutes late because they had to deal with a party of four with one young woman who was so drunk, she was swaying and couldn't stand on her own without help. There was no way she would be able to negotiate the multitude of stairs on the tour. Once we DID get underway, it was informative and interesting. Our tour guide took us to the supposedly most haunted areas of the ship. He had stories about deaths in the past, and ghostly experiences witnessed by current workers and visitors. The tour guide even had a few encounters of his own. Throughout the tour, I took photos of where I thought I might be able to capture something. Here's an eerie photo of the now abandoned swimming pool, and a staircase that proved hazardous...sometimes fatal...to the unwary. 



During the tour, we never saw or heard anything even remotely ghost-like, which was a bit of a disappointment. It was still really worthwhile, though. It was only when I got back to my room and scanned the photos that I took that I saw the orbs. Two of the photos had strange, small circles which didn't appear in any other shots, even those that I took in the same instance. Take a look and you decide. Simple explanation or spirit orbs?



When I returned to my room, I recalled the tour guide mentioning ghost activity on at least one deck with staterooms. It wasn't my deck, but you just never know. Before going to bed, I tried not to think about the people who had the covers pulled off their bed in the middle of the night.

No comments: