Sunday, April 24, 2016

It's raining cats and cats!

When I left Garberville, CA this morning, it was drizzling pretty good. That was kind of the theme for the day...raining on and off...as I drove north on U.S. 101. Given a choice, I like traveling on this road, especially through the redwood area. There's a reason why it's called Redwood Highway. And, before leaving California, I decided to take a little walk among the redwood trees. Just below the border into Oregon, I stopped at Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park. I chose to hike the short, easy Simpson Reed/Peterson Grove Trail.



I just love walking through the ancient redwoods and talking to the trees. Well, maybe not aloud...silently talking to them.  I didn't talk to the fungi or the three-leaf clovers, but I did take their photos.




After crossing into Oregon, I visited a place I've gone to before... Great Cats World Park. This facility is dedicated to educating the public on the different wild cat species of the world, and breeding such cats to help ensure they will be around for generations to come. 


I joined other people as a tour guide took around to see the cats they have there, big and small. Small was represented by such cats as the Serval, Canadian Lynx and the domestic looking European Wildcat.




Most of the wild cats at the park are larger ones. There were three different types of tiger on display. The biggest was the Siberian Tiger, and there was also a young Bengal Tiger and a very mellow female White Tiger used for outreach programs.




As you can see in the photo of the Siberian Tiger, some of the cats are trained to do certain things for their meat reward. Here are two Amur Leopard brothers who patiently wait their turn to get their meat treat. And, it was thrilling to see the African Lion snarl for his reward.



The best thing about this place is being so close to the cats. At most zoos, you're always kept far away from the animals for safety reasons. Precautions are taken at this facility too, but being a few feet away from such beautiful creatures is a wonderful treat. And, on that note, that's all folks! Tomorrow, I'll be traveling to my parents' house for a couple of days, then head on home. But, it's time. I'm road weary and craving my own bed, not to mention reuniting with my cat. I miss her!

No comments: