Thursday, April 21, 2016

Goodbye Los Angeles, hello cooler temps!

One last morning commute, one last traffic jam. When I left my hotel near downtown Los Angeles, I had to contend with the traffic on the freeway one last time. Actually, it wasn't so bad. Since I was traveling west on US 101...opposite of most commuters...at least traffic was moving, albeit slowly. It still took me an hour to finally leave the greater Los Angeles area. After that, it was smooth sailing. I found it the least stressful to drive the speed limit and let those in a hurry just pass me. About an hour later, I arrived in Santa Barbara. The temperature was wonderfully cool...about 70 degrees...and it was nice and sunny. I was there to visit the Santa Barbara Maritime Museum, which focuses on local history and events in and around the city.


I saw interesting displays on the diving culture, with abalone being one of the main industries of the past. There were examples of old style diving helmets and the newer variety.




In addition, there were many impressive ship models. Here's one of the Cutty Sark, a British tea clipper. Not all industry was related to the sea. Local ranchers also raised cattle in the area, and transported hides and tallow in ships.



The greatest peacetime naval disaster took place off the coast of Santa Barbara at Honda Point. In 1923, seven U.S. Navy destroyers miscalculated their position and in foggy conditions, ran aground at full speed into the rocks. Twenty-three men died and the ships were listed as a total loss.


Before leaving the museum, I headed up to the top floor of the building to take in the view. It was pretty impressive. You could even see a few offshore oil platforms in the distance.



For lunch, I enjoyed the smorgasbord...or buffet, if you prefer...at The Red Viking up the road in Solvang. I've eaten there on previous road trips, and it's a great way to indulge in a little Scandinavian fare.



Because it took so long to leave Los Angeles, I didn't have time to do anything else in the afternoon except drive on to my pit stop for the night. It was just as well. It seems I haven't been doing enough relaxing on this trip...L.A. driving CAN be stressful...and I need to take it easy more. Tomorrow, it looks like rain in the forecast, which will be a welcome change.

No comments: