Wednesday, April 20, 2016

The Space Shuttle Endeavor: Need I say more?

I didn't get to bed till about 1:30 am last night. I got back from The Great Indoors taping around 11:30 pm, but I needed to wind down. I really couldn't sleep in this morning though because my hotel room is right next to the Breakfast Room. The walls are thin enough to hear people talking, and that's enough to wake me up. I had a pretty easy day planned...a visit to the California Science Center. Or, to be more specific, California ScienCenter.


I wanted very much to see the space shuttle Endeavor. It's the only space shuttle of the three that exist that's located on the West Coast. When I arrived at the science center, the museums in the area weren't open yet. But, there were school kids EVERYWHERE! Hundreds...no, thousands of them! Their incessant chatter was pervasive and I drew up my battle plan. When doors opened, almost all the kids headed for the Endeavor and other science rooms on the 1st and 2nd floors. I headed up to the 3rd floor to see the special Journey To Earth exhibit, which turned out to be the right plan. I had the room almost all to myself! This exhibit showed what astronauts experience when they spend long periods of time in space, such as those at the International Space Station. I was particularly interested in their food...and their toilet facilities!


By the time I was finished looking at that exhibit, I was ready to see Endeavor, and THAT exhibit was almost free of children! I allowed me to freely take in and absorb the wonderful sight of that magnificent space vehicle.








After I was done admiring the shuttle, I decided to check out the rest of the science center. Now, I couldn't avoid the kids, so I just looked at the stuff that I was most interested in. That turned out to be mostly the live animals they had there...and taking photos of them!






I couldn't leave Los Angeles without getting my favorite Brazilian takeout from the Farmer's Market! It's always part of the plan, and those fried plantains are simply delightful! And, no, I didn't eat the whole thing at one sitting! It's always good a couple days from now after I leave town.


Yes, I'll be leaving town tomorrow. After an awesome week in Los Angeles..and Long Beach...I'll be heading north and start the slow road back to Washington. I can't say I'll miss the horrible traffic jams on the freeways and the terrible drivers who expect you to watch out for them. It's just not like that back home, even in Seattle! I'm just counting my blessings I survived without an accident, and I'm crossing my fingers as I'll have to deal with one last morning commute tomorrow morning.

No comments: