Monday, April 11, 2016

Virginia City: The Washoe Club

The sun was shining when I left Rogue River, OR this morning.  Before crossing the border into California, I filled my Outback's tank...or rather, the guy working at the gas station did. You can't pump your own gas in Oregon, which is fine with me.  Gas is also cheaper than in California.  When I reached agriculture inspection at the California border, I declared my cut up apples and bag of carrots and was waved through.  I got off the interstate at Redding, and headed east on Highway 44.  Driving through forested areas, I thought it would be best to keep my eye out for deer.  After all, it never hurts to be careful.  Next thing I know, there's a young doe standing in the opposite lane, eating something off the road!  What the hell?  Talk about premonition.  I quickly slowed down, and it ran off the road.  

My only fun activity of the day was visiting the old mining town of Virginia City, NV.  To get there, you drive up a winding road.  I stopped at the Geiger Lookout and took in the beautiful vista with the Sierra Nevadas in the distance and the valley below.


Once I reached Virginia City, I went to The Washoe Club for their haunted museum tour.  This historic saloon was featured on the TV show Ghost Adventures, and it's well known for the ghosts and spirits of its previous occupants.



The tour started in the saloon area, where a huge mirror made from diamond dust has a prominent place on the wall.  Since I was the only one on the tour, it made things more enjoyable, I think.  People have seen ghostly images in the mirror, but I saw nothing today.



The tour guide took me upstairs and led me through the rooms.  Some walls showed the layers of previous renovations.  The newer wallpapers covered the original material, which was unique for the horse hair mixed in it. 



Buildings this old can often show their age in other ways.  One room was actually tilted to one side, which was pretty obvious to me.  Another room had an old doll in a rocking chair.  I was hoping maybe that it would move, but then again, I'm glad it didn't. 



The largest room was the ballroom, which was the location of some quality spirit activity on Ghost Adventures.  I didn't see or feel anything while I was in there, nor in any other part of the building.  The photos I took also came up negative.  Other visitors have experienced things, though.  Since I'm scared of ghosts and spirits, it's a good thing they left me alone today. 


Tomorrow, I head on down U.S. 395 with several sightseeing possibilities on my itinerary.  If the weather is favorable, I'll be spending some time outdoors for a change. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Are you SURE that doll in chair wasn't rocking!?! Then how come it's rocking NOW in the photo online!?! Aaaaaaaaaaa.....