Sunday, April 8, 2018

Celebrating National Zoo Lover's Day

It continued to rain this morning when I left Eugene, OR, but the weather forecast looked promising where I was going. I left my hotel just after 7:00 am and made it to West Coast Game Park Safari in Bandon in time for their 10:00 am opening. It was fitting that I visited this zoo on National Zoo Lover's Day. I've been to this particular one several times in the past, and have always experienced something new. Even though I've seen most of the same animals, I'm always looking for great photo opportunities. I was surprised to see the wallabies eating evergreen boughs, and a female peacock...I guess it's called a peahen...wanted to join the capybaras in their warm house.



Even though many of the animals were in chain-link enclosures, I forced my camera to focus through the links and got some sweet head shots. Here are a Canadian lynx, an African leopard and a bobcat. It was easier to get pics of the African lion and white tiger. The lion was VERY interested in the deer and goats roaming freely on the zoo grounds. Not sure why it's tongue is visible...that's known as blepping. The tiger looked quite noble with crossed paws.






Shortly afterward, I got to pet the real deal...a lynx kitten and a bobcat kitten. So cute! I also petted a Patagonian mara...that's a large South American rodent...a red fox and my favorite, cuddled an opossum! The opossum is the same one I've held in the past and it never gets old.




After a wonderful morning at the zoo, I was ready for lunch. I stopped at Battle Rock Wayside Park in Port Orford, and ate in the car, enjoying the scenery. The remnants of yesterday's storm was still evident in the ocean's violent wave action. I got some great photos there and further down the road at Arch Rock.





Tomorrow, I have a long drive to San Francisco, where I'll be visiting a very special tourist attraction. It will be another early wake up. I always get a good sleep with my own pillow. By the way, last night's hotel had regular pillows and tonight's hotel actually has KING SIZE pillows! Not that it matters.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, my! What BEAUTIFUL "kitty-cats" you saw! However, even I think I'd be wary of giving THEM a smooch on their heads. :-)

K&Girls :-)