Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Where squirrels abound

I said goodbye to Los Angeles this morning and headed north to Bakersfield. After a steakburger and frozen custard lunch at Freddie's, I headed over to the town's California Living Museum (CALM).  I last visited this small zoo back in 2010, but I don't remember it much. This living museum features native California flora and fauna...that's plants and animals...and serves as an educational and conservation facility. I was particularly fascinated with the mountain lions and the zoo grounds were teeming with wild California ground squirrels. I witnessed a cute interaction between a young rabbit and a juvenile squirrel.






There was a cute porcupine sleeping in a tiny tree and a very impressive display of the various types of rattlesnakes. I hope I never get such an up close look outside of a zoo!



There was a small owl sharing an enclosure with tortoises and a lone roadrunner. And, when I walked up to the mule deer, one came over to see if I had any treats. At least I THINK that's why it gave me the look.



Tomorrow, I continue my slow drive north and cooler temps. I'll be heading over the mountains like another infamous group did back in the mid 1800s...but chose winter time to do it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ugh! SNAKE! :-(

The other critters are cute, though! :-)