Saturday, April 14, 2018

Touristy stuff, Cold War and critters

Considering I did very little touristy stuff yesterday, I more than made up for it today. After a restful night at a nice hotel, I spent the morning doing touristy stuff in the heart of Hollywood. I joined the other sightseers checking out the stars on the Walk of Fame, and ogled the hand and footprints of celebrities in front of the TCL Chinese Theatre (originally Grauman's Chinese Theatre). There were a few costumed superheroes looking to make a few bucks posing for pics with the tourists. I was not one of them.




After I got that out of my system, I visited the nearby Museum of Failure. This experimental museum was created by Dr. Samuel West of Sweden to display the many unsuccessful products companies have created over the years. Of the items I viewed, these were my favorites. Colgate makes toothpaste, but who knew they dabbled in frozen meals?


By moving Growing Up Skipper's arm forward, you can make her boobs grow...then shrink when you move the arm back! And, Gerber made jarred food for grown ups? I can see why this idea didn't fly!



I had a tasty lunch from Pink's Hot Dogs...chili dog!...then drove to my second museum of the day. The Wende Museum of the Cold War preserves the artifacts and history of that turbulent time. It was interesting viewing items from behind the Iron Curtain...art, toys and of course, busts of Lenin and Stalin.





With time for one last place to visit, I checked out Star Eco Station in Culver City. This non-profit facility cares for endangered, abandoned and illegally obtained wild animals. Most of the animals can never be released into the wild or adopted out. While on the guided tour, I got to touch a few reptiles, such as tortoise, lizard and snake. There was a cute bobcat and a hyacinth macaw with a featherless breast. The blue parrot's owner died, and it was so sad, it kept pulling out its feathers and they eventually never grew back.




Tomorrow, I have a HUGE day! I'll be attending a live taping of the TV show Talking Dead! I think I'll have time to squeeze in a museum in the morning. It will be the same museum I didn't have time to visit last week. Three more days in the Los Angeles area and the fun keeps on coming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awww, that's both sweet and sad about the bird. :-(