Saturday, September 21, 2019

Cape Disappointment and my disappointment

After a relaxing night in my Long Beach cottage, I made the short drive south of town to Cape Disappointment State Park. The headland got its name in 1788 when English Captain John Meares failed to locate the mouth of what is now the Columbia River. I started my day by admiring the view at Beards Hollow Overlook.



A little further down the road, I did a couple of short walks to see the North Head Lighthouse and along Bell's View Trail. By now, the sun finally broke through the clouds and stayed that way for the rest of the day. Those are double-crested cormorants sitting on the rocks.





Before leaving the park, I spent some time checking out the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center. I've visited similar museums in other states, but this one had an emphasis on the time spent in the area at the end of their journey. There was another lighthouse near the interpretive center, the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse. But, I decided one lighthouse was enough for me...I just took a photo from afar.


I spent the rest of my morning doing a quick walkthrough of the buildings at Fort Columbia Historical State Park near the town of Chinook. The fort was completed in 1904, and provided harbor defenses of the Columbia River and vicinity. The original buildings are still there, along with artillery buildings and batteries.




My plan for an afternoon visit to Ecola State Park in Oregon ended in disappointment. After negotiating a narrow winding road to get to the park entrance, I found a line-up of twenty cars ahead of me. I decided it wouldn't be worth the wait and the crowds, so I turned around and searched for an alternative. I ended up spending a short time at Tolovana Beach, just south of Cannon Beach. There were quite a few people there, but I was able to get some pics of the iconic Haystack Rock and it was free!



What better way to end my beach views day than to stay at a place next to the beach? I was rewarded with a sweet sunset at dusk. But, the evening clouds were a preview of what will come tomorrow. Rain! Yes, it will put a damper on my outdoor plans, but I found indoor stuff to do. A seasoned road tripper should always be prepared for the unexpected!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! That sunset picture is SO beautiful! :-)