Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Highest, biggest, oldest!

Before saying goodbye to Oregon this morning, I had a few more sights to see. I left Gold Beach via US Hwy 101 and traveled south just ten minutes to the Myers Creek Beach Viewpoint. I had the spot to myself and took many nice photos of the rocks and beach.




Another ten minutes later, I stopped again at the Natural Bridges Viewpoint. The three rock arches were formed by erosion and wave action. Two miles down the road, I snapped a pic of the Thomas Creek Bridge...the highest in the state. And, I also checked out the Monterey Cypress tree in Brookings...the largest of its kind in Oregon and a designated Heritage Tree.




At the California border was the state agriculture checkpoint. I was prepared to declare my package of broccoli florets and apple slices, but the inspector just waved me through. Oh, well. I spent the rest of the morning strolling among the redwoods at Stout Memorial Grove in the Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park. Despite its somewhat remote location, the grove was pretty popular today. I'm sure everyone there enjoyed the redwoods as much as I did...one of the oldest living things on Earth!




I had been planning to visit another redwood grove in the afternoon, but I had an important mission in the city of Eureka. A few days ago, my car's dashboard alert told me my key fob's battery was running out of juice. Today, I finally decided to do something about it. I bought the correct button battery at a grocery store, but I decided to play it safe and have a Subaru technician change it out. I went to the Subaru dealer in Eureka and got it done. Yeah, I could have changed it myself, but I didn't want to chance possibly breaking something. I feel so much better now, and I'm ready for more road trip adventures tomorrow!

No comments: